clownfish ripping bta

flatsout1171

Reefing newb
my maroon clown is ripping of the tips of my bta...why? and i have read that you need to leave a night light on for the fish so they dont get into the bta....anyone got any answers for this

Is the clown RIPPING em off,or just nipping them?Its normal from em nip the tentecles of their host anemone.And no need to leave a light on all night,unless you just like the looks of the moon lights and plan to stay up and watch the tank:D

With the clown ripping it,you'll have to do something to seperate them.If not,the clown will probably kill the anemone.

does your bta look like this
jmartinanemone_300.JPG

Yep, that's a condy anemone not a BTA.

You can get some sort of plastic container like a strawberry basket, and cover the anemone with it. That will protect it for the time being.

Stick his butt in a bucket for 30 minutes or so and move a rock or 2 around.That should throw off his since of where home is.And hopefully he'll quit trying to tear your anemone apart.

That type of anemone is not a host for clowns of any species. They just dont take to them. That type is a hation anemone. Get rid of it befor the clown kills it and it hurts your tank

keep a close eye on him, if he starts ripping the arms off agaion I would relocate it or take it back to the lfs

OK, so I'm seriously confused as to what the LFS employees are thinking. :frustrat: I specifically stated that we wanted an anemone to possibly host our maroon clown. She stated that this would be perfect. As I am new to this, I expect good information from our LFS but to my dismay...I have not recieved one bit of accurate information. At this point I am going to assume that I need to do research on my own and know exactly what I'm going to get before I go to the LFS.

(Flats wife)

At this point I am going to assume that I need to do research on my own and know exactly what I'm going to get before I go to the LFS.

(Flats wife)

Yeah, that's the best course of action. Some people that work at LFS just don't know what they're doing -- it's a job to them, and nothing more. Sometimes, they don't even have a tank of their own.

Other times, they're just trying to make money off of you. Maybe this was the only anemone they had in stock, and they wanted to make the sale. So they told you what you needed to hand over your money to them.

The nice thing about being able to bounce ideas off of people in this forum is that none of us are trying to sell you anything!

Back