Clownfish sick/parasite?

cpow88

Reefing newb
Hello,

Yesterday I noticed a slightly red / deep orange patch on the "chin" of my clownfish. I fed my fish and they ate normally no problems. Today I saw what appear to be white growths on the chin of the same clownfish and also she is swimming around normally but with her mouth stuck open. It was hard to see but I think I may have seen some white particles in her mouth also, but they dont look the same as the exterior white growths. She is not breathing heavily and when I went to feed today she wouldn't eat the feed (I am leaving for the weekend so I fed her 4 hours earlier then usual). Other then that she is swimming normally doesn't appear to be in distress besides always having her mouth open. Ive attached a pic to help out. Any advice would be very much appreciated....my first sick fish :( . Also there are only two fish in my tank atm the sick clown and a smaller black and white clown so no bullying problems.

Thanks,
Chris

clowfishsick.jpg

I agree, white growths on the mouth are usually indicative of a fungal infection. You will want to quarantine and treat with an antifungal med.

Thanks you 2! I moved her to quarantine on Saturday and have been treating with maracyn ever since. She is now eating and the fungus seems to be receding. Glad I asked here first...went to my lfs and they said to add some natural remedy to my DT to fix the problem. From what ive learned here adding stuff to your DT is never a good idea!

Thanks,
Chris

Yep, you would be correct -- there are very few medications that are safe to add to your display tank. I'm glad to hear your fish is doing better! Clowns are pretty hardy, but in my experience, they seem to be especially susceptible to mouth fungi. It's the #1 type of fish we see with this disease, for some reason. I hope she continues to improve! As long as she is eating, that's a very good sign.

Back