Clownfish Spawning???

Smitty

Reef pro
Whassup everybody...I'm just gonna throw some hints/ideas out there that make me believe that my clowns are about to have eggs...

1)The female usually keep the male away from her, but lately they have been swimming together constantly both shaking slightly...

2)I caught them both scraping and cleaning a flat piece of rock, and now they take turns guarding it...

3)Her belly is slightly larger than usual, even hours after she has eaten...

4)They are the only fish in my reef at this point, I've gotten rid of everything, except corals and inverts, so now they have some privacy...

If there are more signs to looks for let me know, so I can see if they are doing it, and wish me luck...:x:

your 4 reasons are def good signs they might be spawning. Keep an eye on them and let us know how it turns out...

yes yes when they start cleaning a spot spawning time is comming i will try to find the thread on rc about somebody breeding them

That is what mine did before the spawning started. they moved everything they could pick up and moved it back and forth till they got it where they liked it. Mine is just laying the eggs on the overflow near the bottom of the tank. I have yet to see the fry, been close, saw eggs then 1 hour later nothing already gone. Someday I will see them. Cycle between eggs seems to be 12-14 days for mine. First time this happened I didn't see the male eat for 10 days. He just kept fanning the eggs

Cool!!!
Good luck on that. If you have a spair tank, set it up now so that it can cycle and you can use it for a nursery to try and raise them!! It will be something to keep you busy while you recover.

I've been doing some reading, and I see that most people take the eggs out...why is this, is it because the parents will eat them, or another fish will. When I kept cichlids, I just left the eggs in there with the parents...that's what I was planning to do with them also.

I think it is because the parents will eat them. Also, it is so you can target feed the fry. There might not be enough food in the water column for the fry.

Its farily easy to get clowns to spawn.Raising the fry on the other hand is whole different ball game.
Clown fry go through a larval/plankton stage where they just drift along with the ocean currents.Thats also their downfall in out tanks because the other fish,corals,filter feeders and such take them out pretty quick.

Thats what I figured...if they were to hatch, I would turn my skimmer and filter off for awhile...I have no other fish, so the corals would be their only demise, which I'm sure some would survive.

Back