Clownfish swimming vertically

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
So the tank is totally cycled and has been for several days. The wife wanted a pair of clowns so thats what we got. One of them is swimming vertically. He swims normally as well, but he apparently prefers swimming vertically. Is this a sign of an issue, or do I chalk it up to odd clown behavior?

Ammonia and nitrite are both 0

With clowns it could be both. Clowns are weird, but it could also be a bacterial infection that is causing his equilibrium to be out of whack.. You'll know in a couple of days.

They were swimming just fine at the LFS and I've been watching them there for about a week or so - They also swim normally in my tank, then go vertical in spurts

It was lights out after I put them in, I'll post photos tomorrow

Is it vertically in the middle of the tank or close to say a power head or glass of the tank? If it is one of those two, it could very well be that he is hosting it. Clowns are goofy after all.

my clownfish swims like he is dead floating at the top of the tank next to the glass at night and when the lights turn on poof he is up and rearing to go like he got a spectacular night of sleep lol

It was near the overflow. It must just be how they sleep - woke up this morning and they're swimming normally

IMG_0048.jpg

Thats the best photo I could manage, the little buggers are a tad on the shy side right now

haha that sounds awesome. I accidentally unplugged my lights one time and my clownfish ceased all motion and sank to the bottom of the tank. I thought I killed him.

mine has swam vertically right near the top of the water since I first got him. He's been healthy and eating just fine so i really think it's just a weird quirk.

Back