Clowning around...

boricuamed

Reefing newb
I am wondering if there is a difference between purchasing clown fish before an anemone or vice-versa? Or should I just go ahead and purchase both at the same time?

Thanks for the replies. :Cheers:

Ideally you want to purchase the anemone and the two clowns that have made it home. if not I dont think either 1st makes a difference in the long run as long as the clowns are not too big for the anemone. Personally I prefer anemone 1st, settled and eating.

I had my Per. Clown first for about a month then bought A Bubble Tip anemone. He made a home out of it within the first 2 days. He feeds it regular and it has grown about double the size. I don;t think it really maters which comes first but your anemone will do 100% better with a host clown.

Thanks for the replies. I will most likely then purchase the clown first (to makes sure the water quality is ok), and then the anemone.

I know that lighting is an issue, but I was told that for now my existing lighting would suffice. I have 2 48" bulbs. One is a Powerglo, the other is a Sunglo. They are 40w each. I do not have any corals or plants (to my knowledge), but did find this (there are actually 2 of them):

DSCN1872n.jpg

I do not know what they are, and thus was worried if with getting an anemone I would have to upgrade my lighting.

:sfish:

Like john said,Its a better idea anemone first.fish could stress the anem even more when its first introduced...Id say wait a week or so..test your water to make sure its ok with testers not fish.... :twocents:(if you dont own any testers yet take some water to the fish store and they should test for free)

I think you need something like 330-660 watts to be in moderate-high range,with deepths of 17in or more mh are recomended...no in my opinion (9-12)watts

Last edited:
they are a form of sponge, I started out with 48" double florescent, and my live rock was covered with little sponges. I found that any soft corals would do fine under these lights as well as my 4 anemones,but be sure to replace the bulbs after 6-8 months if not the light spectrum will fade and you may get a alge bloom which I have personally gone through and trust me it's not fun.

Might be ok,but I would al least upgrade to a power compact setup.
Something like this will be o.k. http://hellolights.com/484xcoluaqde.html
It will provide 260watts.I have the 130 watt in my 29 galon with a sebae anemone in the sand that is doing well and growing.My sugestion is do to the anemone's needs you may want to let your tank mature a little more also.

here are my 2 cents. Wattage: between 3-4 watts per gallon for a bubble tip. I would get the anemone first especially if the clown will need the host for protection. I would wait about 3 weeks before adding the clown to make sure the anemone is doing well.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Thanks for the replies. I will research the lighting options and get the anemone before adding a clown. You are always very helpful. :Cheers: :mrgreen:

Hello Hoosierreefer... how are you doing? Got a quick question for you. I bought a Bubble Tip anemone while back (1 1/2 months ago) and 2 days ago bought a marron clown. Clown made it home in less than 1/2 hour. How long does it take to have the clown feed the anemone? I am still feeding the anemone myself. Also, what kind of food do you feed your clown? I am currently feeding the clown brine shrimp and some dry food.
thanks,

I mostly just feed my clown dry pellets. Occasionally I feed it brine shrimp as well, but I believe he actually caught and ate my peppermint shrimp. Then ,fed it to his mushrooms. I will have to post some pictures. I have not known a clown to host the mushrooms like he does...It's pretty cool.

Thanks for the info hossierreefer. I just came home from work and notice my clown has some white spot on him. Any suggestion? I am currently looking up books and see what I need to do. If you have experience on it, please advice....

THanks,

Back