Clowns and Anemones

Reefer Special

Reefing newb
Hey guys, I set up my 40 gallon column tank about 2 months ago now and just recently introduced a long tentacle anemone. After having a mated pair of Ocellaris clowns I was hoping this would become their host anemone, but since I have introduced it they have stayed away from it. I thought about trying a carpet anemone but I was just curious to see if clowns immediately pair up with an anemone or how long it actually takes; and if long tentacle anemones are actually good for ocellaris clowns. I could guess it might vary from fish to fish but if anyone has any insight please let me know. Thanks for reading.

my best advice is put a small round mirror maybe 3-4 inch diameter somewhere really close to the nem so the clowns have to be in the tentacles to play in the mirror!!!worked like a charm for our stubborn clowns they loved that mirror and now they love they're nem!!! hope this helps

What type of nem is it? They will not host all types, I don't think they host condis and those have long tentacles. Also, that's a hit or miss thing getting them to host. I diff don't think they host carpet nems....

just because there is an anemone in the tank does not automatically mean the clowns will take up hosting to it, especially since they were already in the tank and hosting something else

You could certainly try the mirror trick, but there is no guarantee that will work either.

Also your tank is very new, keep an eye on water parameters, anemones are very hard to take care of, and when not doing well, they release toxins that can and will kill everything else in your tank

Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll try the mirror trick and let you know how it goes. As for my water parameters I have been sure to check nitrates daily and as soon as I get a missing part from my protein skimmer in the mail I'll have that fired up and ready to go. As far as the type of anemone goes I can't really tell, it came in the store as a long tentacle but I'm not exactly too sure on the species, I'll try to get a picture and post it up soon.

Long tentacle anemone (Macrodactyla doreensis) is the actual name of an anemone. Your best bet will be to try the mirror trick, however it's not a natural host for your type of clown so it makes the chances of it hosting your clown even smaller.

What type of nem is it? They will not host all types, I don't think they host condis and those have long tentacles. Also, that's a hit or miss thing getting them to host. I diff don't think they host carpet nems....
My two clowns host a condy. :D It is very uncommon.

Back