Clowns - and corals...

kevinsimons

Reefing newb
My pair of ocellaris decided the new, huge elegance coral I added 2 weeks ago was... NOT WELCOME...

I couldn't figure out why this magnificent coral, huge, thriving and healthy, had suddenly shrunken up and reduced in size by about 3/4 - then we noticed the clowns nipping at it... and the stupid blue tang following their lead (this fish does not have a creative thought in his head - he is a true follower).

Anyway - I hope the damage isn't too severe; I moved the coral to the other side of the tank, gave the two lobes that are still visible (down from about 8) a nice chunk of fresh shrimp... and have my fingers crossed...

I know the first rule of reef keeping is THERE ARE NO RULES... but sheesh... this one was totally unexpected...(Clowns munching on corals)....

No - clowns were not hosting - that was one reason I purchased it. Sadly, moving it doesn't seem to have helped - that stupid tang continues to graze on it (I guess he learned something...) and the clowns come over to munch on the tang's handiwork. I guess the good news here is it only cost $30... an amazing price considering how huge it was - but still, very bummed about losing it.

If the tang starts eating anything else, yeah - back to the LFS he goes... but the clowns stay (I bought them from Sustainable Aquatics - and these fish are awesome - such a huge difference having tank-raised animals vs wild-caught). These guys actually ENJOY human interaction.

Now - a new question for all you experts - should I remove the dead skeleton, or leave it in the tank? It's not ugly - in fact, kinda neat looking - but is this a good or bad idea to leave it in?

I'd leave it.Besides looking neat,it adds to your liver rock total.

On a side note:
There are some awesome looking college girls that work at sustainable aquatics.:luxlove:And their clowns aint bad either

Back