Clowns hosting in Elegance coral

tboyd

Reefing newb
Ok I have just finished re arranging my tank and my lovely clowns have decided that the Elegance coral looks a good a place as any to call home... Will they damage the coral or will it tolerate them?

What should I do? I am not planning on purchasing an anemone just yet as from everything I have read in here everyone advises not recommended until your tank is a least 12 months old.

Also can anyone tell me what BTA/BTA's stands for?

Thank you all for your help it is so good being able to come in here and post questions. Especially when I do not have a LFS close to home.

Regards,
Tania :bounce:

If there is no anemone clowns will do some crazy things (they suite their name well). Some have even hosted powerheads. The only thing i can think of is to remove the clowns for a few days so they forget their original environment and then put them back.

I have a Clown that has taken my Toadstool for his home. He did this for a few weeks, then all of a sudden he has vacated it. I watched him remove sand from inside the toadstool also.

I have 2 ocellaris clowns that host in my torch coral all day and all night. No damage to date and they have been there the last few months. The torch is actually doing better and is larger since all of this started.

Great advice from all the above.
I wouldnt recommend an anemone for ANY reef tank.Reason being,If that anemone decides he dont like where hes at and moves to the other side of the tank,its going to severely sting and or kill any corals it comes in contact with.

Elegance corals are pretty delicate. I'd be worried that the clowns hosting it would irritate it so much it starts to get sick.

Clowns will host pretty much anything. You could try to get something else that is hardier, hopefully the clowns will move over. I recommend hairy or frilly mushrooms. Clowns LOOOVE them, and they are pretty much indestructible, so they can take a beating from the clowns just fine.

Hey Biff and Yote thanks for all the great advice you give us, I've come to value your knowledge/opinions the most. you can tell you guys really know your s%*t.

If you elegance doesnt show any signs of being aggrevated then leave the situation as is. If it starts retracting, then you need to get proactive, with moving the corals and/or fishes.

Back