Clowns - quick question

I sure hope I am just being over cautious. Being so new to the hobby, I am so worried about screwing something up. I am looking at everything with extra scrutiny.

You gotta relax just a bit.:D
But I doubt you'd find a serious reefer that didnt start out doing that exact same thing.

That looks like a nice healthy fish to me as well....Do you think what you're seeing could be his bones? and since he is such a light color and the light is so bright you can see through him on his thinner parts? Hence the reason it's only visible on his backside where he's thinner?

I don't think you have anything to worry about..

Yeah, probably just being dumb. He really does seem healthy otherwise, not acting weird, he's eating and all...it's just me :)

I can see his insides too!...splotches are not his insides :)

Thanks so much everyone, I feel better now.

It's better to be safe than sorry :) Just keep an eye. But I'm sure in no time, you'll forget about this drama and come up with a new one, like any good reefer! :mrgreen:

Update:
The clown died. He was fine for the 4 weeks I had him, then we had a heat wave & the temp spiked. He retreated under a rock for 2 days, didnt eat & I got home from work on day 3 and he was sucked half way up the filter intake.

Side note, the spots WERE stings from the anemone. The older clown started hosting the anemone and developed the same black "spotty-ness" - That clown is absolutely fine - looking forward to a new friend for him though.

Next update,

Bought a new one YESTERDAY - today...DEAD! It's enough to make you want to just give up!!...well, not really, but VERY disappointing.

Something weird is going on in your tank. What other livestock do you have, you said you have an anemone, do you have other fish in there? We need to get to the bottom of this.

I agree something is definatly wrong. Clowns are notoriously hardy and hard to kill. You have an anemone? Your tank is only what 2 months old? Are you sure your nem hasn't died and poisoned your tank? You can't test for it. Has your nem well basically been disentigrating?

I agree.Something is up there.
Of course the problem could be in your LFS to.But lets start with your water parameters,including salinity and temp.And what are you using to test salinity,hydrometer or refractometer?

I agree.Something is up there.
Of course the problem could be in your LFS to.But lets start with your water parameters,including salinity and temp.And what are you using to test salinity,hydrometer or refractometer?

+1 Yote

Sorry about your Clowns. It cane sometimes be very frustrating. :frustrat:

I think you shouldn't add anything for a few weeks but keep doing your water changes. Give your tank some time to settle down.

Not the tank - died in quarantine. He looked fine at the LFS, swimming in and out of the return flows, looked totally normal.
It could be the 1.5 hr drive home (even though in a temp controlled styrofoam cooler box)
I just wont buy from there anymore - Im only out $15, so not a huge monetary expense for lesson learned, just the life of the poor little fish :(

No fish for me for a while, my other ones are doing fine. Good enough for me.

Back