Clowns to a new anemone

Seanus

Reefing newb
Howdy, I have a pair of maroon clowns which I bought a month ago as a "mated pair" from the LFS, When i introduced them to my 6'x2'x2' reef tank they immediately hosted a relatively large bubble anemone and haven't left it since. However, the anemone has never been happy with the clowns and has shrivelled up to 10th of its size or smaller, Now, this is the plan - move the clowns to 125lt reef tank with a huge carpet anemone which has a diameter of about 18cm. The rationale is the larger the anemone the better for the larger female maroon clown and her mate. The carpet has had a tomato clown fish for the last year which I am giving to the LFS. Considering that the clowns took to the bubble anemone straight away are they likely to take to a carpet anemone?
Any hints on make the transition apart from the obvious water acclimation effective - eg. transfer them just before turning lights out?
Cheers

Sean

Attachments

• carpet nem.jpg
    carpet nem.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 298
  • clown plus nem.jpg
    clown plus nem.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 335
Welcome to the site!
Maroons can be pretty rough on their host as you seem to be experiencing. The BTA is a natural host for the maroons. The clowns could go straight to the carpet anemone or not. There is no way to answer it for sure. Just be cautious b/c carpets are very aggressive and there is always a potential they could make a meal of the maroons.

Thanks Nick

I didn't even consider the anemone would do that. Are the maroons likely to kill the RTB if I leave them with it? Before the maroons, the RTB was such an elegant specimen.
BTW is a 6 x 2 x2 tank large enough to accommodate 2 carpet anemones and a RBT - or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks for a very informative forum.

Sean

Maroons have been known to love their anemone to death. So the potential is there. Without knowing your water parameters and lighting I can't 100% say that is what is going on. I have witnessed many aquarists with less room get away with multiple anemone species. Carpets generally stay low in the sand and BTA's prefer your rock work. Just remember if you do it they all have the ability to move around the tank and a BTA wouldn't match up well against the carpet.

Back