Club Library

bkv1997

Reef enthusiast
I have been thinking about things we can do to better the club.

One of the common things I see when visiting other clubs site is they usually have a club library. I don't think that we have the funds to go out and buy 20 books, so if anyone would be interested in trying to start something like this let me know your thoughts.

I will make the first donation.

"Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook" by Robert J. Goldstein ISBN 0-8120-9598-7

If you have an old book you aren't activly using and would consider donating it to the club please post the information.

I'm open to any ideas/suggestions on this topic.

Thanks
Brandon

Thanks Rev....

Hopefully we can get a couple people to donate a book or two and then start from there.

Brandon

Ill donate my five books if we keep all of them at my house and nobody borrows them! just kidding! I do have some books but would like to know how the system works before donating, they were expensive and I still use them acasionally. but the library is a great idea.

I figured we would have one person (that came to meetings frequently, not david) hold the books. The checkout period would be from one meeting to the next meeting.

At first I would like to try this without having to put down a deposit or anything like that and just hope that everyone can be responsible return them on time, etc...., but have also thought about a $10 to $15 dollar deposit if we start having people not return books, etc...

Iron do you have any thoughts etc... I'm completely open, but would like to start working on things like this to benefit the club.

Brandon

Im not sure man? maybe we could do kind of a virtual library, like post a list of available books and brief overviews of them. then have a online checkout were people can request a certain book be brought to the next meeting and whoever has that book can bring it to the meeting?
how do the other clubs organize theres.

Yeah, I've got some books, but they were expensive, like Brian said. I do feel a deposit is in order.

I have:

The Manual of Fish Health
Natural Reef Aquariums by John Tullock
Complete Encyclopedia of the Saltwater Aquarium by Nick Dakin
The conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The Saltwater Handbook by George Blasiola
Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman
Various magazines like Marine Fish and Reef

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=664862

I wasn't asking for anyone to donate every book they have, but I do feel as the club having the book belong to the club is probably best. No Hard feelings if something happens to it etc... last thing we want is for something that is suppose to help the club cause problems... which will always happen eventually if personal property is envolved.

We need to think about things like this and it isn't something that has to have 200 books available tomorrow. Maybe we vote once a quarter and use club money to purchase 4 books a year, etc...

Lets just take some time to think about this continue to come with ideas and we can further discuss at Davids house in May. :)

Thats always an idea too... sell them to the club for cheap....

Just on the money topic... Can we start having monthly updates at the meeting of the club account... Just a 3 minute update.

Something of this format..
Last Months balance at the meeting was $XXX
This Months balance is $XXX
Quick explanation of the difference.

As the club grows things like that just need to be part of every meeting.
Brandon

Back