Clumpy salt?

I've been using Instant Ocean salt for a while now, and since last week (the last time I used it) it has gone from individual sugar sized grains of salt to big clumps of it. Is this a problem?

To me it's just harder to measure. That's why I keep those packets of "do not eat" absorbant in my salt container. My 2 cents, Chat room regulars will tell me I'm wrong...

To me it's just harder to measure. That's why I keep those packets of "do not eat" absorbant in my salt container. My 2 cents, Chat room regulars will tell me I'm wrong...
Hey whatever works :D So it's just the moisture that does it? If so, I may try something like what you did.

It shouldn't be a issue with it at all...just make sure you break the clumps up before measuring, so that it'll be accurate.

All right, thanks guys. I'm only asking because of all the time I've used this salt, this is the first time it's ever gone clumpy on me.

If I forget and leave my tub in the bathroom it'll be salty after I shower because of the moisture - totally normal and will not alter/harm the salt.

You can order silica packets (they even sell them at Home Depot) and add them to the very top of the bucket to help control moisture.

If you're using a pour bin or some other 'easy pour' container, you can place a piece of syran wrap over the cover/spot and screw on the lid. This will help with 'sealing' it and is inexpensive.

It is the moisture that does that. I had an entire bucket turn into a solid salt cylinder once. Had to bust it apart with a hammer and chisel.

Are you sure no toxic fumes got into it? Somebody left their salt unsealed in a garage, it clumped, they used it and the tank crashed. Otherwise I would say your salt is fine.

The only issue you MAY run into using salt that's clumped is the moisture getting into the salt could cause local precipitation and when you mix the salt the precipitate won't dissolve and you can get a lower alk and/or calcium level. If that happens (low alk or ca) with the clumped salt, all you have to do is dose to bring the levels back up and the new saltwater will be fine to use.

Yes, that has happend to me before. One of my LFS tried to pass a salt bucket with clumpy and yellow tinted salt on to me as new. When I tried mixing it it would never fully dissolve even after 3 days in a bucket with a pump. Took it back and got a real new bucket and the difference was obvious.

Last edited:
Back