Coaxing True Percula to host GBTA

Ninkylou

Reefing newb
So I have had this clown that was given to me 2 months ago with some rock I bought. Rock had a huge growth of hair algae that the clown was in fact hosting. Oh how he loved his algae So I took care of the algae much to the chagrin of the clown. I now have a GBTA in the tank and the clown is oblivious to it.

Any suggestions on encouraging it to host? The neme has only been in the tank about 4 days. The clown swims near it but does not seem to notice it.

If it does not host it would it be okay to get a maroon clown and add it to the tank as well. I know they have a preference for the BTAs.

If you can isolate the clown without stressing it, some people have had success putting the two in a bag or small holding tank for a few hours at a time. I personally haven't tried it with my tank raised clowns and nem. I'm content with them hosting my return valve.

If you add two clowns of different types to a tank that size, they will likely fight to the death.

There's no guarantee that a clown will ever host anything -- you could have a really nice anemone, and the clown would decide he likes the powerhead or heater better. :)

neither of my clowns want anythign to do with my nem, they prefer the top left corner of the tank and the powerhead :p and sometimes when they are in the right mood-the bristleworm trap! LOL.

There really isn't a way to coax it into the nem, it'll do what it wants :p

A trick to get your clowns to host your bta is take a plastic dish ( i used one that pre packed hillshire farms lunch meat comes in) make lots of holes in it so water can flow through it. Put your bta in it and your clownfish put cover on and let it set in the tank for about 3 hours. The clowns will have no choice but to rub up against the bta and by the end of 3 hours should be playing it.
That is how i got my clowns to host my bta they would not go near it before and now they sleep in it.

It can take months for a clown to decide to host. 4 days is nothing.
I'd just leave it be and let nature take its course.

Back