coincidence or serial killer?

FishTales

Reefing newb
I think my clown has formed an unhealthy type of relationship with my Yellow Tang......My Kole Tang came up dead one day. No signs of stress before that and no signs of disease. Then a few days later my pearly Jawfish came up dead ........across the tank away from his burrow like he came out to look for food or a new burrow and they got him. Then now I see them harrassing my royal gramma in the rock that he is hiding .....and when he comes out to eat the clown harrasses him. They don't bother my fire shrimp ....I have seen the yellow tang try to get cleaned by my shrimp. I'm so mad that 2 of my favorite fish are dead now!

My female clown will kill anything smaller than herself. She's gone through 7 chromis now. I've gotten in the habit of banishing her to the sump for about 3 days while a new fish settles in. This has GREATLY reduced the serial killer episodes in my tank.

And this is the reason why I am reluctant to get more clowns, especially in a smaller tank, with other docile fish.

Do you think if I got it a bubble tip anemone it would keep him away/occupied? I tell ya I prob wont ever own one again......If he/she wasnt a senior in my tank I would sell it! He/She has been in my tank for 5 years.......:(

grrrrrrreeeeeaaaaaat! Why do I get stuck with all the aggressive stuff!? Aggressive dog nobody wants.......aggressive fish ....can't get a break!

Clowns seem to be a love/hate relationship. Most of us in this hobby believe that we have to have a clown in our tanks because they are so popular, but they cause such headaches. :frustrat:

grrrrrrreeeeeaaaaaat! Why do I get stuck with all the aggressive stuff!? Aggressive dog nobody wants.......aggressive fish ....can't get a break!

Maybe you should throw your dog in the tank and see who wins? My moneys on the clown

I'd get rid of him/her. I had a Blue tang that for the first part of his life was fine. Then became very aggressive and killed other fish. He was one of the first fish I ever bought, and he's gone now. I still have my eight year old Yellow Tang, who will be a little aggressive at first with new fish, but he settles down after a day.

Back