Collecting Live from the Sea

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Just got back from Naples Florida and combed the beach for some wonderful Live plastic, live beer cans, whiskey bottles and live tangled string. Looks great in the Aquarium.

Seriously though there is a reef just offshore there with, among other things, a lot of branch coral. I found this surprising because the winter water in Naples can get very cold. I didn't think corals grew north of the keys.

interesting. I know most corals do not like cold water. I would just leave things that are in the ocean where I found them. I don't want to be fined for taking something that is a big "no-no". Plus, it allows other people to enjoy what is there.

-Doc

hey my rents have a house down in bonita springs flordia
its like 20 min north of naples
we go down there a lot

Go to this beach and park in parking area 1. Snorkel out about a hundred feet and you will see the reef -- if the water is clear that day.

DELNOR-WIGGINS PASS STATE RECREATION AREA/BEACH
11100 Gulf Shore Drive, N., Naples
(Immokalee EXIT OFF HIGHWAY)
Phone: 239-597-6196
Hours: 8 am - Sunset Daily

You cannot touch or take living things from the reef. I did take some broken pieces of branch coral washed up on the shore and the park official I showed them to was fine with that.

Any pics? I would of figured a way to get me some corals one way or the other. I love being a treasure hunter

not cool reefs are in enough danger without hobbiest swimming out and grabbing a chunk of it for out tanks, find a cultured coral from a farm please.

I live off Immokalee road in Naples. We go to Wiggins Pass a lot (during the summer). I haven't seen any reefs, but when it warms up, I will have to check it out. I agree with RyanG, definitely look but don't touch. I am surprised there is anything out there honestly. I used to dive Marco Island growing up down there and what I remember of the area was murky green water with very little coral or reef life. Mostly man-made reefs from concrete pylons and such. I will let you know.

The park ranger, said they water needs to be clear to see anything and the water there can be really cold in winter.

Back