Collection cup height

2fastlx

Reefing newb
I know the exact height varies from skimmer to skimmer, but where do you guys like the level of the bubbles after putting the cup back in? Do you make it so the bubbles are around the middle of the overflow tube, up near the top so they can readily overflow, or down near the base? I havent got any real dark skimmate out of mine yet, only tan colored water with brown stuff stuck in the overflow tube. Am I putting the cup too low?

It could either be that your bioload is low or, your cup could be too low. Mine pulls out skimmate that looks almost black. How often are you having to empty your cup out?

It did fill up once with very light tan water. The cup was probably way too low at that point, but it hasnt filled up since. I will try setting it up high and let it run its course and see what happens. I have 5 fish in the tank ut all are very small. Biggest is just over and inch. Also have a banded coral shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and an arrow crab, along with 5 snails and 2 hermits.

Its an octopus bh-100f. I had it up and running for a few weeks before it sucked up a butterfly and I dropped it trying to get him out ( hence the "incredible" thread). Its been up and running for a couple hours now so Im sure it will need to break in again.

Its an octopus bh-100f. I had it up and running for a few weeks before it sucked up a butterfly and I dropped it trying to get him out ( hence the "incredible" thread). Its been up and running for a couple hours now so Im sure it will need to break in again.

Yeah, it can take some adjusting to get the settings just right.

It'll just take some adjusting of the cup to find a good level for you. Ive got the bh-100ss and my skimmer only took about a week to break in, then another week to find the right height for the cup. Just make sure you mark it when you find a good height.

Thanks guys, Ill keep playing with it and see how it does. Is it possible that since all my fish are so small they just dont produce much waste?

Back