Collection cup lid won't stay still

bangbangkhan

Reefing newb
i installed the protein skimmed today and the bubbles are over flowing from the top..the lid wont stay still...keeps hovering....did i install it wrong or is this being caused by too much air sucked in?

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTMwNDAxLTAwMTg4LmpwZw.jpg

I disagree, if its overflowing like that then you're running it too wet. Dial it all the way down so that there are no bubbles/ water coming over the edge of the collection cup. Then over the course of maybe 30 mins make very small adjustments till the bubbles are just reaching the top. Leave it there and as the skimmer breaks in the bubbles will start flowing over. Once the skimmer is broken in you can adjust it to skim wetter or dryer.

I disagree, if its overflowing like that then you're running it too wet. Dial it all the way down so that there are no bubbles/ water coming over the edge of the collection cup. Then over the course of maybe 30 mins make very small adjustments till the bubbles are just reaching the top. Leave it there and as the skimmer breaks in the bubbles will start flowing over. Once the skimmer is broken in you can adjust it to skim wetter or dryer.

I never understood "breaking in" what is breaking in?

I never understood "breaking in" what is breaking in?

From FAQs on Marine Depot and Corvue sites:
Do allow your protein skimmer time to "break in". New skimmers frequently don't produce a lot of skimmate during the first week or two they are set up. Sometimes they have almost the opposite effect, foaming like crazy and filling the collection cup with clear liquid. To counter this, rinse the skimmer thoroughly with lukewarm to hot water to remove dust or residual oils left over from the manufacturing process.

for the time being i have removed the lid of the collection cup...until the protein skimmer goes through its break in period....i adjusted the gate valve and i think its much better than before...today is only day one and by reading more about how skimmers work...it looks like it will take atleast 3-4 days for it to stabilize

I have the nwb150 and it never did that for me...the water level might be too high or its dialed way to high

Maybe turn it all the way down and see what it does

So i found this information below from Coral vue site:

Why does my skimmer keep over flowing?
There are several common reasons a skimmer will overflow.
1) Chemical Reaction - Some chemicals react with the air that the skimmer produces and causes the skimmer to over produce foamate. Chemicals known to cause skimmers to overflow are, red slime remover, medications, reef/frag putties (epoxy Putty) frag glues, water conditioners, dechlorinators, stress coat, fresh filter socks, newly mixed salt, bacteria (seeding) additives as well as other dosing medias. In order to remove these chemicals from the water column we suggest that you do several 20% water changes over the period of a month and add a good amount of fresh activated carbon to the system and change out every week till the skimmer has returned to normal operation.
2) Water level in sump - It is important that you place your skimmer in the proper water level. It is also important that the output of the skimmer is not submerged under water unless it is properly vented.
3) Inner water level - If your inner water level is set too high the slightest change in your water chemistry can cause your skimmer to over flow. We suggest that your inner water level to be set at no higher than the collar where the cup meets the body.
4) Blockage - Venturis are like small vacuums and often collect dust and debris from the air which can block the proper amount of air to enter the pump which increases the water being pulled by the pump. It is also common for saltcreap to build up in the port and will need to be removed manually by scraping it away. Make sure you inspect the air venture, silencer and air hose for any debris or salt creep deposits. Also make sure the air hose is not bent preventing air flow into the pump.

Back