Colonial Hydroid Tear Down

dankolle

Reefing newb
I have searched the inter-web dry and I have yet to find a solution for Colonial Hydroids. I have boiled, burned, baked, dried, juiced, smothered and plucked these little buggers. For every 1 I kill 3 come back in it's place. While my fish are in the hospital tank, I am thinking about fragging my corals and removing my live rock and starting again.

However, with ICH it has a period in which the spores are alive in the water column. Do hydroids have the same thing? I would hate to get fresh 200 lbs of live rock only to have them pick up the hydroids again. Do I need to dump my sand too?

How bad is it? I scraped them off my rock with a razor blade and when the came back there was only 1/3 as many so I just keep doing it till they are gone but I only have them on one small rock.

They started off on one rock, which I promptly removed. However, it was too late. Now 2 years later they are on almost every rock!

I was browsing the Web and seen something called a blunt end sea hare that will eat those. Though I'm thinking like a nudibrancrh they only may eat a specific kind of hydroid. Might be something to look into. Good luck!

Back