Colonial hydroids or aiptasia

jodicakes

Reefing newb
What's the dif? I've got somthing in my tank, and I thought it was aiptasia, but now I'm not sure. My husband did a kalk past, and used a siringe, but he didn't suck them out after, was he supposed to? They are still there. We started seeing them after our long tentacle anemone started moving around our tank. We talked to a friend who has been doing saltwater for several years, and he said our anemone "dropped" them. Does that sound right? They are all over in every rock and in the sand. My husband got a little shrimp (I have no idea what kind) that was supposed to eat them, but we haven't seen him since we put him in, and it does'nt look like he's doing anything if it's even alive still. WTF? What should I do?

I'm at work, so I can't post a pic, but I've been looking at the other aiptasia stuff, and it looks more like them. Some of them are getting huge!

Hydroids stay small. And your long tentacle anemone would not be "dropping" baby anemones all over the tank. That's not how they reproduce. I would also bet that they are aiptasia.

Most peppermint shrimp will eat aiptasia, so I'd recommend getting 3 or 4 of them to help (if you don't already have other animals that would prey on the shrimp). If you have a ton of the aiptasia, you will have to do manual removal. They will sting and kill your corals, so you need to get rid of them ASAP.

Ive read that Berghia nudibranchs only eat aiptasia never tried them myself, but you can google them and read up. Maybe worth a try.

Ive read that Berghia nudibranchs only eat aiptasia never tried them myself, but you can google them and read up. Maybe worth a try.

thats the prob once they eat it all they are dead. they are better left in the ocean unless you can keep passing them off to other person that has an aptasia prob

Yeah i Guess you have a point, but is it more beneficial to save the nudibranchs that are being bread over and over or the corals that you could potentialy loose?

Yeah i Guess you have a point, but is it more beneficial to save the nudibranchs that are being bread over and over or the corals that you could potentialy loose?

as far as i know nuds are not captive bread.(and i could be very wrong about that) i would rather use kalk paste ar some joes juice, pepermint shrimp. or something that i know will work without killing a creature like a nude. i use peppermint shrimp and have not dad aptasia for 10 years in my tanks.

well i guess some of them are being captive bread and i will admit that i was wrong. and i am not saying that you should let the coral die because of them i just am trying to say that there are other ways that will not kill something once its job is done.

Back