Colonial Hydroids

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Well I have them, do I need to irradicate them ASAP or are they fairly benign? They are only on one rock that I can see. Take the rock out and let it dry or what?

They're worse than aiptasia in that no animal is known to eat them. Kill them off ASAP, they can be very harmful to the other animals in your tank.

Well I have ever used to kill aiptasia is lemon juice and I probably have a couple hundred on this rock seem to have come from nowhere overnight. Got any sure fire insta-death measures to use?

Take the rock out and boil it or dry it out, if it's a relatively small rock. Your tank is young enough that it won't hurt anything.

If it's not a small rock, smothering it with kalk paste will do the trick.

Kalk paste works nice because it not only kills them from the localized high pH, but once the paste hardens it's actually turns into calcium carbonate.

Peeeewwww. If Janell just saw what I did in her stock pot she'd never let me in the kitchen again! haha. Found a couple of delicious looking baby clams in the bottom of the pot too.

Im kinda bummed, this was one of my favorite rocks. Had very very thick coraline plates on it and was almost completely purple and pink. Oh well itll grow back.

Back