Colt coral help

Rob M

Reefing newb
Please advise. Awhile ago I discovered that nudibranches were eating my colt coral which you all helped identify and advised to look out for babies. Well I have pulled several small ones off recently and wanted to get the ones I couldn't find and did a freshwater dip for 5 minutes. Now it looks shrunk and COMPLETELY deflated. Did I make a big mistake and kill it.? There seems to be so many opinions on freshwater dips. I am going crazy on figuring what is right

Of course. The freshwater is harder on the coral than the nuisance themsleves. You should look for a coral dip that is made for this vs. Trying to do it the cheapest way possible. It may or may not come back, only time will tell.

I just bought coral rx I guess a day late. Why do you read so many do the freshwater dip? Is it the expense? If I knew that I would never gave done that. I don't try to do anything cheap. Guess yet another lesson learned. Thanks for your feedback.

It is expensive to dip all your corals, when you have a couple thousand in corals, think of how much dip you have went threw? It is the price of knowledge I guess. I've found using a pesticide mix from the hardware store to be the cheapest safer way to dip. I get PE within 20 min after a dip.

I use a pesticide 5mls per cup of saltwater. I found I get PE (polyp extension) on sps corals with in 20 min after the dip. When I used coral rx, It usually took a couple of hours.

Oh wow how did you ever discover to use the pesticide or guts to try it? I am impressed and thank you for clarification on the PE. What was really weird was when I got your response on the email it made the PE into PEOPLE like a spell check but in site it was just PE, odd.

My fault. Fing autocorrect. The other day I told my wife to get stamps at the post office. It auto corrected to pu**y office without me of the wiser. It was an interesting conversation to say the least.

I got the idea from an old reefer who did this before the real issues of aefw's and issues in general. I gave it a try and was impressed. Just an idea.

Lol. Not that I would have the guts to try but curious what pesticide do you use? I have tons in my shed from infestations over the years.

Same thing. It hardens up the exoskeleton on the bugs and done. Coral rx is so expensive for what it is, I believe people are looking for different answers. Ie, freshwater dips. I hear a lot of it on fish too, but death usually follows.

Back