Compatibitily

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
(this is a re-post from my tank build thread but I wanted some new eyes on it too since it's very important to me to not get anything I can't sustain and keep happy in my tank)

Ok all! Here is what I am thinking is going into my tank. After a LOT of research and deliberation with the wife, we have decided on the following list. Let me know what you all think. (remember this is a 90 gal tank)

1: Radiata Lion Fish
1: Yellow Tang
1: Kole Yellow Eyed Tang
1: Bristle tooth tomini tang or the Two Spot Bristletooth Tang
1: Mimic Half Black Tang
1: Flame Angel

To all you tang owners out there, yes I am aware that the Kole and the Bristletooth are from the same family and will have to go in at the exact same time or they will fight. This is exactly 45" of fish (1" per every 2 gal). I am putting a skimmer on the tank for up to a 250 gal tank and if need be I could go bigger (up to 400 gal). I am trying to do a reef tank with corals (sps, lps the works), the guys at the LFS said the lionfish should do just fine with them. Any thoughts or big red flags for anybody?

ok so after a lot of talking it over, we may cut the lionfish out and go with a mandarin and some cleaner shrimp instead. So the revised lineup is

1: Yellow Tang
1: Kole Yellow Eyed Tang
1: Bristle Tooth Tomini Tang
1: Mimic Half Black Tang
1: Flame Angel
1: Mandarin
2: Long Spined Urcins

Thoughts?

Still lots of tangs in a relatively confined space. I'd cut out one of the bristletooth types. Also remember that the Kole and the Yellow can be mighty obnoxious towards even non-tang tank partners. And Mandarins are neato, but do best in a very well established aquarium with a well-populated refugium. They really aren't a new-tank sort of fish and will quickly starve to death. If you get a tank-bred one that's taking frozen well, you may have more success, but they're still really delicate! I wish you the best of luck! I'm hoping to do 2 tangs in my 90 gallon, so here's hoping we're both successful!

Thanks Samhain! The mandarin will be the last thing to go in, after my fuge is set up and going strong with plenty of pods for him to eat. So if i take the bristle tooth out, how am I looking?

Back