Complete Lighting System

bigploch

Fan of Water
Hello All,
This is my first foray into saltwater aquaria. I have decided to jump in with both feet and purchased a 110 gal. tall (48" long, 30" tall, and 18" deep) display tank.

I purchased this setup used and it came with 2 175w metal halide fixtures with bulbs, ballasts and the whole nine yards, as well as a flourescent fixture with the capacity for two 48" T-8 (I think, it's the same as the bulbs in a regular four foot fixture in an acoustical celing) bulbs.

I would like some info on what kind of bulbs I would want to use. I want to eventually have a reef tank (setting up a 30 gal. sump tank underneath) loaded with live rock and corals.

I have heard I need two different bulbs and want the best types for my deeper than typical tank. I have heard and read other comments about full light spectrum but I don't know what portion of the spectrum that the metal halides cover.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the site and the addiction.
Do you the color temp of the bulbs you've got?With the right bulbs,you wont any actinics.But usually,the bluer the bulb,the slower the coral growth.
Just confused myself,so I'll let the light gurus take care of that one.

The most powerful 175W mh bulbs, in terms of PPFD (photosynthetic photon flux density), are Iwasaki 15K. They produce a very nice crisp white light. I use them over my tank. For your 48" fluorescent bulbs, get 2 actinics to help "pop" the colors of the corals.

Being in Harrisburg, you aren't too far from Something Fishy in Northampton. It's an awesome place for coral. I go there about once every 2 months. It's a little over an hour from my house.

I used to use those same Hamilton bulbs. They are very weak compared to the Iwasaki's and also look more blue. I did like the color of them, but not the output. I used them with actinics.
To compare them:
Iwasaki 15k - 87 PPFD
Hamilton 14k - 51 PPFD

Here's a few older pics of my tank with Hamilton's and Iwasaki's.

Iwasaki 15k
iwa15K_5-08.jpg
http://www.centercup.net/images/125build/iwa15K_5-08.jpg

Hamilton 14k
ham14K_5-08.jpg

Last edited:
So the Isaki's when it's time to get new bulbs for the MH's. But what of the flourescents? There seems to be a thousand kind of actinics out there. What should I look for? What K do I need or are all actinics the same K? Is all of the wattage the same for 48" T-8's? Should I be looking at 50/50 Bulbs (Half 6000 K and Half Actinic), Trichromatic, or Blue Actinic?
Am I making this more complicated than it needs to be?
I am hoping to get this thing lit and flowing this weekend so I can start cycling it and enjoying it.

When you use MH bulbs, actinic lighting is only supplemental. In other words...eye candy. The MH bulbs provide the full spectrum of light corals need. The actinics or any other supplemental lighting you use is good to create the transition from dark to full blast.
You can go to your local lighting store and ask if they can order Philips TL 40W/O3 bulbs. I used to order them all the time when I used 4' bulbs.

So the Isaki's when it's time to get new bulbs for the MH's. But what of the flourescents? There seems to be a thousand kind of actinics out there. What should I look for? What K do I need or are all actinics the same K? Is all of the wattage the same for 48" T-8's? Should I be looking at 50/50 Bulbs (Half 6000 K and Half Actinic), Trichromatic, or Blue Actinic?
Am I making this more complicated than it needs to be?
I am hoping to get this thing lit and flowing this weekend so I can start cycling it and enjoying it.

One true actinic(420nm,purple) and one blue(460nm) will give the best ''pop''.

Ok back to this again. More questions. The MH cover the full spectrum of light. The actinics make the colors pop. Which is required for the deepest regions of the tank, actinics or MH? I have a buddy telling me I need 2 actinics (right now running one super actinic and one daylight fluorescent) to encourage coral growth. I thought the MH is what the corals at the bottom especially, need to grow.

i think its actually the actinics that help the corals grow and the white bulbs balance out the color for our viewing pleasure. but i could be wrong

The halide is what make your corals grow. Some people even use 6500k bulbs on their frag tanks. That is almost a yellow bulb. When they get the growth that they want they switch out to a higher kelvin bulb like a 15 or a 20k bulb to get the colors to come out in the coral. The amount of actinic is totally what you want.

thanks for the backup guys, I don't think biggy believed me.
I would be more then happy to just use actinics and not have to run my halides. I think my wife would be happier with the electric bill too.

Back