Complete SW Cycle

CSCULTHO

Reefing newb
When and how do you determine that the cycle is complete on a new tank? My tank is 2 weeks old with

50lbs live rock
live sand
refug with live mud
4 chromis
5 turbo snails
7 hermit crabs
2 emerald crabs
1 bristle star

And all my readings of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are ZERO. Ever since I've started my tank I've had ZERO on all my readings and everybody is doing very well in my tank. Is this right and am I cycled?? :frustrat:

your test kit may be off. If its never showed any readings... Thats not right. Even an established tank would show something after adding 4 fish.
Also 2 weeks and already 4 fish is quite fast. just be sure to take your time, and maybe get better test kits.

to get a sample of water from your tank to test always take out below surface say 2 to 4 inches below top of water level. take a good sample to your lfs and have him verify your readings. could be with your live rock if it was very good rock your bio load has not exceeded the capability of the system especially if you are doing water changes. let the system go for 3 months and if everything is still alive and doing well and all of your water parameters are still good, you can start adding but slowly at that time. pushing it too quickly or fast might wake up the new tank syndrome and you could have a crash if something goes wrong. any way make sure all your test kits are not expired and are current, have the correct comparison cards and clean your test vials with ro or distilled water very good after each test. good luck and keep us posted.

Oh and before i forget. watch the forum thread topics a bit closer. this post should have been posted under the thread for general reef discussion. also just so you will know about the articles forum. please post only articles in that forum. Hope your visits to the site are fun, informative and interesting. good fishin

Last edited:
thanks for the help.

I did take a sample of water to the LFS and they saw exactly what I was reading, ZERO. That is why I add my janitors. I'm just as confused but my tank is in good condition. All I'm trying to do now is slowly increase the S.G. to 1.023 by dripping a higher concentration of salt water into my refuge. My fish are hardy and happy. :D

Should I do a small water change to clean up the debris from the live sand or let it be??

Back