Completly New at this guys!

Cagle55

Reefing newb
Hey everybody! My name is Bobby and i am from the middle TN area, specifically Sparta. I have recently purchased a 55 gallon aquarium with one Brittle Star one striped Clown and a blue Damsel. I have several live rocks and a crused shell substrate. Basically i have just purchased this and have no clue where to go from here! I did receive a hydrometer with the tank but no other testing equipment. I just moved it and set it up yesterday. A couple of my Rocks have a purple rubber like material on them. The previous owner did not take real good care of the hood and lights they are still intact but the plastic is breaking apart on the fixtures pretty bad. I do not have any janitors of any kind and that is my next step i think along with fixtures and an all glass top. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to try and load some pictures on here!:bounce: Thanks Everybody hope this all works out for me

0625071042.jpg

0625071043.jpg

0625071043b.jpg

0625071044.jpg

0625071044a.jpg

0625071044b.jpg

0625071604.jpg

Welcome, every one here is pretty cool and willing to help out. Learn from our mistakes. So heres a little helpful advice, your going to want to buy some better lights, if your on a budget pick up some a 50/50 power compact florescent fixture. Upgrading the filter setup is a must, a protein skimmer and refugium/sump is your best bet. For now I would remove the bio-wheels from the filter because they cause your nitrates to run high. I would also replace the air pump with a power head, salt water tanks require more water current. Last but not least more live rock is always helpful. I know this is a lot to throw at you all at once but its the basics to a successful saltwater tank.

Unless you are planning on keeping any type of corals - you are good to go with your lighting - as a fish only tank does not need the lighting requirements that a reef tank does. I'd mainly recommend replacing the bulbs as they are probably old (just because the light is on doesn't mean the bulb is still good).

I agree with Hawks and remove the biowheels. The filter will work good without them.

Welcome to the site. I also wouldnt change the fixture if your not keeping corals or anemones, but I would replace the bulbs. You can get a 50/50 bulbs at walmart for like 6.00 each, it will just bring the colors out well. I would also remove the bio wheels, and invest in a skimmer.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions. You might want to check out the helpful articals on the top of the page for some great info.

Welcome to the reef.
I'm thinking like Ad and Bobby,unless you want to go reef,you dont need to upgreade the right now,just buy new bulbs.I would also invest in a good skimmer,You wont be sorry you did.
If you want rock work,which is what really makes a salt water tank look good,Add in 25 to 30 pounds of base rock.Then 10 or 15 pounds of live rock.Save some cash,and the live will seed the base.
Last but not least,Upgrade the filter system as soon as you can.I good sump will do wanders for your tank.
Post any questions you got too,everybody on this board will do there best to help you out.
And if you need any hands on help,just shoot me a PM,Im up that way most weekends any how and would be more than happy to help you out.

Hello and welcome! I think everyone else has given good advice, stick with the lights you've got until you are ready to get corals. Definitely upgrade your filter, and get some more live rock. Feel free to ask any specific questions that you have.

i agree. circulation and filtration would be the first needed upgrade. a few powerheads and a skimmer definately. shop around on the net and ebay and you can find some descent skimmers around 100 bucks or a little less. some skimmers aren't worth the money, some are. just be sure to read customer reviews and post questions here first. everyone here will give good advice. same with powerheads. most maxijets are less than 20 bucks a piece and well worth it. enjoy and welcome to the reefs!

Welcome to Living Reefs.Good advice from everyone else so I won't repeat it.Post questions and recommendation in the general forum and many of us here can help you further.Best of Luck

welcome..nothing new to add...there are a lot of helpfull articles and threads in the forum...good luck..keep us updated

Back