Compound Bows !!! Experience Person Advise please !!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Civicdemon, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Civicdemon

Civicdemon Go Big Or Go Home !

So i Got a PSE Stinger 3g about 1 1/2 months ago and im pretty tham good with it at 30 yards, I have already gotten a Robin Hood and would actually like to get better. i got there standard Ready to shoot package but im thinking of upgrading from the whisker Bisquet to a drop away arrow rest.

Anyways at the moment its between 3 rest

The QAD hdx
    The Ripcord Code Red
    Or the Smack Down Pro FC

Out of all of them i like the smack down the best but i dont like the fact that you can lock it up, but i love the fact that it can be limb driven.

On the other 2 i like that they can be locked up but there connected to the string and not the limb.

Anyways to those of you that have used them let me know what you think.

I know there should really not be to many people on here but just tought i would take a shot.

Civicdemon, Feb 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Civicdemon

bjohanson1234 .........

PM yote. He would probably be your best bet.

bjohanson1234, Feb 11, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. Civicdemon

ZyberGoby Because I'm clever VIP Member

Indeed +1 BJ

I love me some bow hunting but for myself I'm now down on all the gear out there I just have my Bear Kodiak Hunter re-curve from 1999 and genesis compound bow from 2000. The only thing I've ever replaced were arrows. so yeah I most definitely PM weapons master Yote he knows his shit when it comes to guns and bows

ZyberGoby, Feb 11, 2013
  4. Civicdemon

Thanks guys ill hit up yote.

Civicdemon, Feb 12, 2013
  5. Civicdemon

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

If I could still shoot my old High Country, it would have a Whisker Biscuit on it.
    There is a lot of stuff that can go wrong with a mechanical rest. I've seen the cords slip causing the rest to either not come up when it's supposed to or not come up at all. Seen them stick and not drop too. They get out of tune pretty easy. Basically, if it's mechanical, its eventually gonna malfunction.
    With the whisker Biscuit, there's nothing mechanical that can break which makes it easier to tune. Not to mention the arrow can't fall of the rest when your making your draw.
    One of my hunting buddies missed an opportunity on a 140 class 9 point the past season, because his Trophy Ridge mechanical rest broke. The cam inside broke as he tried to draw on the buck, letting the rest fall and dropping the arrow onto the shelf. Of course the buck heard the shaft hit the riser and headed for parts unknown.
    Keep it simple and stick with biscuit. You'll thank yourself when that buck of lifetime steps out broadside at 30 yards.D

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    yote, Feb 12, 2013
  6. Civicdemon

yote, Feb 12, 2013
  7. Civicdemon

Yeah true, A whisker is nice with the ease of things but i want to go and see if i can maybe get into some comp. With target shooring also. So i still want a nice drop away for that purpouse. want to have better grupings. I have ben talking o people on ArcheryTalk and everyone is telling me to go with a QAD rest. So i think i might bite the bullet on that one and like you said i can alwys trow the whisker buisket back on when i go hunting im i choose to.

Civicdemon, Feb 12, 2013
  8. Civicdemon

How tight are your groups with the biscuit? What arrows are you shooting and how much twist do you have in the vanes? And what size vanes are on your arrows? What type of nocks?

Not gonna try to talk you out of the mechanical rest, just see if I can help get you into 1 inch groups on target.

yote, Feb 12, 2013
  9. Civicdemon

Not sure on all that but with the whisker buisket my groups are between 4 and 3 inches at 30 yrds. Im shooting the arrows.the guy at the shop told me to use. There victory archery v400. I have hot really tight grups before but not consistently. Even robbing hooded 2 arrow

Civicdemon, Feb 12, 2013
  10. Civicdemon

That's not in the rest.So a mechanical rest isn't going to help there.
    If your getting some tight groups, then some not so good groups, that's most likely in your form and follow through.
    When you practice, make sure that everything you do is consistent. Everything from the way you nock your arrows to making the draw, your anchor point, sight picture, and follow through when you release the arrow. Even how you engage the release will have an effect on your accuracy.
    If your practicing for hunting, make it realistic. Shoot from a blind or treestand ( I used to shoot from the roof of my house ). In hunting, the first shot is the one that counts, so shoot at least one shot every day.
    If you want to get into competition, then spend an hour or so a day shooting groups.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm thinking that your new to the world of archery and bow hunting? At 30 yards, you should be able to consistently split knocks if thats what you want to do. But that comes from a lot of practice and not just flinging arrows. The proper form is actually more important than the equipment you shooting.

yote, Feb 12, 2013
  11. Civicdemon

Yeah this is my first bow so im still learning. But i will try and make sure i find my stance and follow thru the same to keep things consistent. Usually i shoot my bow 2 to 3 times a week for about 45 min

Civicdemon, Feb 12, 2013
  12. Civicdemon

Something to try.
    Instead of shooting 45 minutes 2 to 3 times week, shoot 4 or 5 shots everyday.
    And heres why I say that.
    As you've already learned, archery is pretty dog gone physical. :D So with the longer practice sessions, your muscles get tired and will compromise your form and lead to some not so good shooting habits. So a shorter practice session, paying close attention to the tiniest details will help you a lot more than wearing your arms out will.The goal is to stop the session BEFORE your groups start opening up. And if your rushed or just not feeling 100%, then don't shoot until are at 100%. I can just about guarantee you'll be shooting sub one inch groups at 30 yards and beyond before you know it.

Before I messed my shoulder up, I shot at least one arrow everyday. Sometimes before work, sometimes after, and even carried my bow to work and shot during my lunch break. Of course there were a lot of times that I'd spend 30 to 45 minutes shooting too.
    The main thing, is have fun with it.

BTW
    If there's any archery related stuff I can help you with, feel free to shoot ( pun intended :D ) PM.and I'll PM you my phone number and help any way I can. I love helping people getting to archery just as much as like helping with fish tanks.

yote, Feb 13, 2013
  13. Civicdemon

Yeah its just really hard to get out there every day with my current schedual, But i will try. I Work graveyard Hense all my night time post here on the LivngReef lol. then when i get home i have to take kids to school and take care of my baby till the wife get home. Ones she gets home its sleep time. SO Sometimes i get lucky and can get out there for a bit if im not to tired. But at the same time i want to shoot a bit longer also to help grow my muscles so i can set my bow up at full draw weight eventually. i actually started it out a 55 lbs to start and it was to light turned it up to 60lbs and that was really good, right now im at about 63lbs but i want to eventually hit 70 and be comfterble there.

I will PM you if i have any questions. And Thanks For everything. Oh yeah one more thing Does the Site actually make A Difrence ??? I notice most site are the same as my 3 dot optic one except some are more expensive and some less.

Civicdemon, Feb 13, 2013
  14. Civicdemon

If you can get in one shot a day, it'll make a huge difference. Even if that one shot is at 3 in the morning. That's the beauty of archery, you can shoot anytime you want and it wont disturb the neighbors. :D

On that sight, pick one you like and go with it. While some are more complicated and expensive, they all do the same thing in the end. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend.
    When I had my High Country. I didn't put sights on it. I shot instinctive, which made those twilight shots a lot easier and it was less stuff that could go wrong at the moment of truth.

yote, Feb 13, 2013
  15. Civicdemon

Yeah i think right now with what im doing ill stick with the one thats on the bow already. Defenetly does not feel bad. Might add a little light to it but thats all.

Civicdemon, Feb 14, 2013
  16. Civicdemon

When you get a chance, post a picture of your sight. I may have a light that will work. If I do, I'll send to you.

yote, Feb 14, 2013
  17. Civicdemon

Oh Ok Sweet sounds good, Heres a Picture of it. Sorry for crap Pics there from my Cell.

[​IMG]

And ones again i really apreciate your time in all this. took about 18 shots yesterday before work ad i did pretty good 4 arrows with in 1 inch of eatchother a couple even sharring the same hole. But 2 wild ones of to the right a bit.

Civicdemon, Feb 15, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question