Compromised Glass?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
As some of you might remember, I inherited an old hex tank and stand when I bought my 90g. I've been in the process of getting equipment, etc., to finally set that tank up. Aside from having a light and a controller, I'm pretty much ready to get the tank cycled - rock work is done, I had the stand refinished and canopy custom made, and have all of the other equipment ready to go. Even have the saltwater made and waiting! So I went to finalize my rock structure and noticed a large scratch(?) running straight up one pane of glass, almost from the bottom to about 3" from the top. I can clearly feel it on one side but it doesn't penetrate through to the other side so its not a full crack. I'm thinking either (1) I accidentally scored it with a rock when I was moving things around, or (2) there was an existing imperfection that has now developed into a partial crack due to the weight of the canopy. I've run my fingers over every inch of the outside of the glass and do not feel any evidence that it has cracked through. Do you guys think I'm safe in assuming this is just a scratch, or is this something that could ultimately crack through to the other side?

I would assume if you can feel it on one side and not the other that it is indeed a scratch and probably not anything to worry about.

Maybe leak test?

I have a similar issues. When I was moving my tank a few years back it was dropped. The glass is fine but the plastic support on the bottom is busted I may try to repair this and remove the gravel all at once soon! I'm planning on switching out my sump for a much higger one soon and adding a second dt this would be an optimal time to do it.

I have a similar issues. When I was moving my tank a few years back it was dropped. The glass is fine but the plastic support on the bottom is busted I may try to repair this and remove the gravel all at once soon! I'm planning on switching out my sump for a much higger one soon and adding a second dt this would be an optimal time to do it.

I would do this sooner rather than later... the plastic support does a lot more than you think.

Yeah I'm sure it does! Lol. But it's been filled for two years since so I'm not too too concerned. But, I want to tear it down to drill it out also so I want to get everything ready and repair it. My livestock should be okay in the refugium while I do it. Its cracked right in the corner too... I don't remember if its all the way cracked or just a little but it's pretty bad

Made it through the first day and a half of the water test with no problems! Once I got the tank outside and filled with water I could see that the scratch was much more superficial than it looked inside - yay! Not sure I'm going to leak test for the whole week as I'm not quite as worried as I was before, but it will depend on how busy I am this week. Can't wait to get the cycle started on this thing!

Yeah I'm sure it does! Lol. But it's been filled for two years since so I'm not too too concerned. But, I want to tear it down to drill it out also so I want to get everything ready and repair it. My livestock should be okay in the refugium while I do it. Its cracked right in the corner too... I don't remember if its all the way cracked or just a little but it's pretty bad

If you're going to tear it down to drill it I'd just look into buying a new tank or finding a used reef ready on CL or your local reef club! Or, perfect time to upgrade ;)

I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it was caused by a rock, wouldn't think it could get that deep from that. If it's not a single deep scratch all away across most of the panel it's probably fine.

Back