concerned about new yellow watchmen goby

clownfish cj

Reefing newb
I got a new yellow watchmen goby today and after acclimating him for an hour and being in my tank for 2 hours now he is swimming high in my tank and just resting on the fins of my overflow. I have moved him 2 times away from it but he eventually swims back up to it.

Now he is going back and forth from the overflow teeth and swimming in the tank up high.

Is this normal behavior?

now he put his body on the intake side of the fingers on my overflow with his head only sticking out. This fish is scaring me. I had to turn off my return pump and push him back in the tank. I'm worried he will get sucked into the overflow and down into my filter sock in my sump.

If you are worried, I guess you could screen off the overflow, so he can't get sucked in, but you have to keep an eye that it doesn't plug and restrict the return. I've have a Diamond Goby that swims high to feed once in awhile, but usually stays on the bottom or low substrate. Does it seem to be laboring any?

Watchman are strange little fish, they do things for no reason it seems. My goby sometimes gets a wild hair and will swim to the top of the tank and back down. I wouldnt move him anymore unless he is in peril however maybe turning the lights off and letting him feel a little more comfortable to swim around could help. When mine first got in my tank he stayed at the top until I turned the lights off, where he then felt comfortable to explore the rocks and find a cave he likes.

the lights went out last night and he seemed to stay down. The lights went back to there normal cycle today and when I got home I found him in my filter sock. He was still alive so I put him back in the main tank. He is barely moving and sometimes he moves upside down and lays on his back. Is there anything I can do to help his survival?:(

I called the store and the only thing they will do is give me 30% off if I went to get another one. I'm not to happy about that. I don't think I am going back to this store.

Back