Concerned about power outages...

AngelLeah1981

Reefing newb
A couple people have told me where you have the holes drilled in the tank is important because in case of a power outage you don't want the water going into the floor. 2 days ago the lfs said that isn't what determines whether the water goes into the floor or not. shrugs shoulders. ....and of course he didn't want to explain it to me because he never wants to explain things to me. What are the other things that will prevent the water from going into the floor in case of a power outage. Also, I know there is a piece of equipment that cost betwen $30-75 (can't remember which) that keeps the tank going in case of power failure. Does anyone know the name or the link where I can see this? How powerful does it have to be? Which one do you suggest? The cheapest best one for a 120 gallon. Thanks.

If the holes are drilled far enough down that the sump cant hold the extra water with the pumps off,then you'll have a flood if the power goes out.Thats the reason I like my over flow.Only 2 extra inches of water will go into my sump if my power fails.
The power supply your talking about if actually for computers(I think).Try looking for backup power supplies for computers.I personally bought a generator so I can run ALL my tanks systems including lights.

Back