CONCH came with some rock

Welcome to the site Jason.

Its going to be hard to give specifics on the conch,without know what kind it is.A pic would help a lot.
But generally,they are pretty good addition to your clean up crew and effectively stir your sand bed.They'll also eat some types of algae,diatoms and such along with fish waste.

They are good cleaners to have. What kind of conch is it? Can you post a pic or ID it online? The most common ones in this hobby are the queen conchs and red-footed conchs.

LOL, thanks ya'll ninja's.
Doing a google image search I think its a fighting conch from the florida rock I got...

My kids misplaced my camera...lol

That's a neat hitch hiker to get. You're lucky! But in case you decide you don't want it, I've been kind enough to provide a recipe for Conch Soup that I just happened to find while I was googling images of conchs. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
4 medium conch, pounded and chopped
2 onions, chopped
1/2 cup vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
3 lemons, juiced
2 cans (28 oz. size) tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cup potatoes, peeled and chunked
4 stalks celery, cut into bite-size pieces
4 carrots, cut into bite-size pieces
2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
2 cups sliced okra
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon parsley

Directions:
In a large pot, saute onions in oil until translucent. Add salt and pepper. Add lemon juice, tomatoes and conch and increase heat. Add vegetables and rest of ingredients. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 3 hours. Remove bay leaves and serve.

This recipe for Conch Soup serves/makes 4

I recongnize your user name. Are you a big poster oven on Reef Sanctuary? Glad to have you here.

Biff is a vegitarian so that Conch soup must be extraordinary.

As for the fighting conch they are pretty neat, they move in a sort of hopping movement. Will keep the top layer of sand clean, fairly active little guys.

Yeah I'm over there on RS, was just looking for new and exciting places, how is it over here??

I recongnize your user name. Are you a big poster oven on Reef Sanctuary? Glad to have you here.

Biff is a vegitarian so that Conch soup must be extraordinary.

As for the fighting conch they are pretty neat, they move in a sort of hopping movement. Will keep the top layer of sand clean, fairly active little guys.

I have a username over there but haven't post much.I really should get around more,a pretty good place at RS.

Did this come as a hitchhiker with the live rock?It's pretty hard getting a fighting conch as a hitchhiker.If it is a fighting conch,great scavenger and sand stirrer.

Yeah it came with a bunch of live rock I got for free... I had a big score getting rock covered in all sorts of corals.

here are some pics.

200.jpg

Some frog spawn, and a few leather type corals that have a bluish color to them.
201.jpg

This rock is covered in a brown star polip and clear cup coral or something?
202.jpg

There are a bunch of these very large colorful green mushrooms, they are about 3 to 4 inces accross to give you an idea how big they are...
203.jpg

204.jpg

205.jpg

The above 3 photo's are pics of various rock...just covered in different types of little corals...
206.jpg

Some torch coral I'm guessing, and I don't know what this hard encrusted coral in the middle is... It has a very hard skelital structure, almost like porates coral (the stuff the x-mas tree worms live with) but the polips are much bigger... who knows right now??
207.jpg

208.jpg

I love this one... is a gorg that is about a foot and a half long, very very healthy! It looks great in my tank!
209.jpg

And here is the little brain coral.[/QUOTE]

Back