Conch questions

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
So as we know I bought a queen conch but Im worried about it. It hasnt moved at all really, every now and then I see its little tube deally poking out. Ive picked it up a couple of times and it doesnt stink at all. I have noticed that there is a half of a bivalve shell(thats what it looks like anyways) that is either lodged in the main shell or is part of the conch itself. That is what I am wondering do conches have an internal shell or is the shell stuck in the opening of the main shell?

PS the LFS had it in a mix of shells and sand, mostly shells.

Dude really? First post on a thread? Ok thanks

Edit: Have you ever looked at a conch? They have an extremely elongated tube that Im assuming is either its mouth or a water intake. Ughhhh

Any way you can get a pic of it Ryan?
Sounds like it may have a small shell stuck inside its shell.At least thats what I'm guessing.

Here is the pic Yote hopefully it helps ID the situation. Any clues on how to remove it? I have some dental picks tweezers or QTIPS? haha

100_1337.jpg

Stay away from the Q-tips,there killers:mrgreen:
To be honest Ryan.I have no idea how to remove it.What ever you do,treat it like your first love.Be VERY gentle with it.

Its either attached or he picked it up and aint letting go. I touched it and it pulled the shell in and completely retracted so ill just let it be.

On further research the shell is actually called an operculum, it is used in locomotion and defense. Glad I didnt try to force anything!

Oh gotcha, maybe its time for the old title to come back. When did you add the "I am the girl" to your sig?

Back