condy anemone

please help my condy looks like it is shriviling up and is emiting this slimy brown stuff. Is it dying?
It could be. Does it smell bad? How long have you had it? It might just be taking a poop. Have you fed it recently? If you think its dying, dont risk it! take it out. It will kill everything in your tank with it if it goes. Also... How long has your tank been set up?

Last edited:
the tank has been set up for about 2 1/2 months. I removed it from the tank after reading about other peoples horor stories. It did not smell bad but came off the rock quite easily. Should I be worried about the other fish in the tank?

the tank has been set up for about 2 1/2 months. I removed it from the tank after reading about other peoples horor stories. It did not smell bad but came off the rock quite easily. Should I be worried about the other fish in the tank?
Check your water levels, nitrates etc. I would not worry about other fish in the tank. They should be fine. Do you have a holding tank for the nem?? If it was dead, you would know it for sure. Can you get a pic of him at all? Have you ever fed him, and what is your lighting?

Nitrates are fine. Moved him to a holding tank. The lighting in the tank is not very good just the basic lighting but the lighting in the main tank is sun reef 50/50 (?) thats what the bulbs say. I just fed him yesterday and he ate just fine. But I recently did a water change (15%) could this have affected him? Sorry I can not get u a pic.

A few things, nems need a very mature tank and you don't have that. Also I'm going to guess that your lights are only PC lights which are not enough. I'm going to guess that the nem is dieing

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the nem was just taking a crap.
But the others are right.Your tanks a bit to young to safely keep an anemone.They require stable conditions that only come from a mature system.
Can you give us anymore details on your lights?The wattage would help.Or even a link to them.

Your lights aren't enough to keep an anemone. If it's not dying already, it won't survive long term in your tank with those lights. I'd look into finding it a new home, while there's still a chance it can recover. If it was not attached to the rock very well, that is a sign it's sick. I'm glad you got it out of the tank early though -- there is always the potential for them to wipe out the rest of your tank, so good decision there.

+1 yote,dustin, and biff. Lighting is very inportant and I would reccomend going to T5s if you want to keep a nem. I have them over my nems and they are doing great. Also... It could be crapping, it could be dying. Its hard to say for sure. One thing for sure is that it probably wont live long with the lighting you have now.

Back