Condylactis anemone dying after 1 day? RAPID onset... just within the hour.

tudes

Reefing newb
Hey everyone... my Condylactis anemone with in the hour just shriveled up and all the tentacles are little strings all grouped up towards the center. It is still stuck on the rock as I probed it a bit. When I probed it, it did stretch out a bit.

Also, I gave it a Silverside and about half of it is in the anemone and the other half well was covered with all the tentacles. But again this thing is now shriveled up and brown.

Any thoughts? Is he dying? I don't have a salt water nurse tank that I can put this thing in. Do you think he's dying?

How long have you had the anemone? How long has your tank been set up? What kind of lighting do you have?
A picture would help a lot... however if he is on his way out you need to remove him ASAP. Anemones are very toxic when they die. He could crash your whole tank.

Thanks for the reply... I know it's probably not going to survive long but since it's still stuck to the rock should I take it out first? or should I just wait until it starts to float around? Or will that be too late...

I thought it was because I gave it a silverside and it's chewing on that. All the tentacles on the anemone are very thin and short, almost like its dehydrated. It's not white, its still the brown color. When I poked at it earlier it got slightly bigger. It's been about 3/5-4 hours

Answers to the questions I asked would help. :D

Pooping and dying don't look all that diffferent for nems. You could have given him too big of a piece and he's trying to spit it out. Silversides aren't the best for them anyway.

I got a condy when I first started as a freebie from TBS. Initially he was white over the year ive had him, hes turned a more brownish color. This started within a couple of months of having him. When hes fully extended hes close to the side of tennis ball with some of the tenticles extending out a bit further. When he shrivels up, typically at night, hes about the size of a large marble.

Ive had another anemone (BTA) die in my tank and when its dead it will release from that rock. Its wasnt an immediate process for me either. I could see the foot start to release and over about half a day to a day it was dead. If hes still attached I would personally just keep a close eye on it. I wouldnt feed it too many silversides in its current state.

If It does die in the tank obviously get it out asap. I was able to suck a BTA up in a turkey baster when it passed without it disintegrating too much. >.< Keep us updated!

Very useful info! Thank you. I'm sorry I haven't posted my water parameters, traditionally I just had fish only and a lot of crabs/shrimps inverts. the LFS guy told me that this anemone is low maintenance and easy. I mean if it dies, I won't be devastated. But if it dies and kills all my fish, then yes, I will be devastated. If it does die, how much time do i have to get it out before it nukes my tank?

-dt

Very useful info! Thank you. I'm sorry I haven't posted my water parameters, traditionally I just had fish only and a lot of crabs/shrimps inverts. the LFS guy told me that this anemone is low maintenance and easy. I mean if it dies, I won't be devastated. But if it dies and kills all my fish, then yes, I will be devastated. If it does die, how much time do i have to get it out before it nukes my tank?

-dt

There is stilll no way to tell yet if it is doing well, or not. You have not posted any pics of it, or stated your water perameters. Also, these are cold water nems, so if your tank is above 75 degrees, that could be a factor in it not doing so well.

You should probably read this:
Pink-Tipped Anemone, Florida Condylactis Anemone, Florida Pink-Tipped Anemone, Sea Anemone Facts and Sea Anemone Pictures

And try to take what your LFS tells you with a grain of salt. Always research what you want before you make the purchase so you know exactly what you are getting into.

+1 fast. Anemones are some of the hardest animals to keep in this hobby. They require high light, pristine water conditions and a tank that is at least a year old.
LFS exist to make money, plain and simple. If they sell you something that will nuke your tank, you'll just go back to them to replace all your livestock.

The anemone will lose it's grip on the rock if it is dying. If you can pull it off fairly easily, I'd take it out now.

Mine does that all the time like twice a day. At first it really freaked me out but now i know its just a weird creature. LOL Its probably just in shock from the move and will take some time to adjust to the lighting and everything you have.

Last edited:
it could be taking a :pooh:...if you see that its strating to come apart...like little white strings...its dead...but if it come out of hes mouth its pooh...good luck...

Back