Conflicting cycling instructions

leon1972

Reefing newb
Ok, so I am a little confused. I am readings conflicting instructions on how to cycle my tank. I have read I should use a light ten hours a day and run my filters. I've also read I should NOT use a light or filters to promote algae growth. I have also read I should do 25% water changes weekly and then I read I should just let the water naturally balance itself. Help with the conflicting instructions would be much appreciated Please!!! Lol

The only thing you need is a piece of dead shrimp or frozen fish food (I cycled my 125g w/ frozen fish food) to attact the nitrifying bacteria. There's no need for lights, so you can leave it off. But I'd at least have the pump going to keep the water circulating.

I was told I don't need the shrimp or fish. Or does that guarantee a growth of even more bacteria? Im looking at it like the more bacteria the quicker the tank will restablize when I add fish

You're overthinking it. Once everything is setup just toss a pinch of flake food or a piece of shrimp in there and let it sit for three or four weeks. Doesn't matter if the lights are on or off; I think some people believe they may spur an algae growth, but you're going to get some of those anyway.

I didn't do any water changes on mine until AFTER the cycle. Once you do your tests and the cycle is complete, do a water change and then you'll be golden to add some clean up crew and your first fish.

Nitrifying bacteria is everywhere...adding frozen food or dead shrimp just speeds up the cycle,

Now, if you have a couple of good pieces of live rock and some live sand, you might not even see a cycle. Or the die off from the rock and sand can feed the bacteria, too. But definitely don't overthink it.

I'd skip the flake food -- they tend to be high in phosphates.

You have to add the shrimp or have a lot of die off from the live rocks. Without any ammonia present, you wont get any bacteria growth - until you add your first fish. Then the tank will actually cycle and you put your fish in danger of dying from ammonia poisoning.

Do you have a test kit to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? You need to have those test kits to monitor your cycle.

Ammonia levels steadily at .25 with a liquid test kit for the last week. Am I waiting for my ammonia levels to naturally drop or should I be testing for something else

It will stay a certain level and then naturally drop back down to zero and then you will see the nitrites go up and then go back down and then the nitrates will go up and that's when you are ready for your first water change. All this will take place over a couple weeks. so the levels will stay the same for a few days before dropping down to zero. That's why it takes a couple weeks. It takes time for then to come down again.

Back