Constant Nitrate Problem, please help!

DaneAtkinson

Reefing newb
Currently have a 48 bowfront that has been running for 3-4months. For the past month I have been doing weekly 10-20% water changes with R/O water. Simply due to the fact that I constantly have readings of 60-100ppm Nitrates. :frustrat:
I use the API liquid/beaker test kit.
Why would I constantly have Nitrates that increase after water change but always read 0 Ammonia and 0 nitrites?
Today I cleaned protein skimmer and sump (hoping it would help) and weekly take a turkey baster to the live rock.... I currently have around 15 hermit crabs and 5 snails.
*There is 1 powerhead that makes good flow through tank.

I believe the tank is at its limit or overstocked (thanks to brother) and understand that I will/should take some out but still don't understand why I only ever read high nitrates and nothing else.

*feed 1-2 SMALL amounts a day or ever other. (enough to feed for 30secs)

1 maroon clown
1 blue spotted goby
1 yellow tang
2 cardinalfish
1 firefish goby
1 stupid damselfish I cant catch
*All fish are around 1-2 inches

1 sand sifting star
1 brittle star
1 emerald crab
1 flame scallop
1 anemone crab w/ carpet anemone
3 feather dusters. (1 bought about 6 inches, 1 .5 inch living in LR when bought, and 1 living on a huge snail that was bought).

Definitely overstocked, especially that u added all those fish in such a short amount of time. What kind of skimmer are u running and what is it rated for? What kind of filtration are u running other than ur skimmer? Also how much live rock do u have in ur system?

I would guess 40lbs of live rock.
Skimmer is CPR BAKPAK II w/ biobale, rated for 60 gallons.
Cascade Canister Filter System.

Why am i only reading the last stage of the Nitrogen Cycle and not the first 2?

Hmmm couple questions

Do you test your water change water? To make sure there are no nitrates in there?
What kind of food are you feeding?
Do you have sand or crushed coral?

I would keep the fish stock at about 5 fish (1 for 10gallons) for a while, feed frozen food once a day or even once every 2 days.

Another thing i would do is take some of your water down to the lfs and have them test it, you may have a wonky nitrate test.

Nitrates can really only be taken from the tank with water changes and things like macro algae, so they tend to build up. Say if you were to change 50% of your water and your nitrates were say at .40 it would only drop to .20. I wouldnt reccomend changing out that much water at once though, just keep up with the 20% or so a week.

The bacteria in your live rock change any ammonia and nitrite in your tank fairly quickly, changing it into nitrates.

The canister filter may be whats causing your high nitrates, they need to be cleaned every few days.

Hmmm couple questions

Do you test your water change water? To make sure there are no nitrates in there?
What kind of food are you feeding?
Do you have sand or crushed coral?

I would keep the fish stock at about 5 fish (1 for 10gallons) for a while, feed frozen food once a day or even once every 2 days.

Another thing i would do is take some of your water down to the lfs and have them test it, you may have a wonky nitrate test.

Nitrates can really only be taken from the tank with water changes and things like macro algae, so they tend to build up. Say if you were to change 50% of your water and your nitrates were say at .40 it would only drop to .20. I wouldnt reccomend changing out that much water at once though, just keep up with the 20% or so a week.

I do not test my water change water so I will. I have a sand bed and feed "Formula II" 1/8 frozen cubes a day.

Your tank is way too small for a yellow tang. Canister filters can be nitrate factories.

It can be hard to wrap your mind around not needing a canister or power filter for your saltwater tank.:frustrat: But they really are more for freshwater. I used to have major Nitrate problems along with algae issues. Within a week of getting rid of the filter my nitrates dropped. Big time. And i have yet to have another issue over a year later with Nitrates or algae.
As long as you have enough live rock and a good skimmer ditch the filter.

Ditch your canister filer and reduce your stock to the proper level and you'll see your nitrates drop. As others have said, your tank is much too small for the yellow tang, that's the first fish you should remove

Open up that canister filter and clean the shit out of it. That'll help but u gotta do it probly like once a week. I would see about setting up a sump with a refuge if I were u.

Open up that canister filter and clean the shit out of it. That'll help but u gotta do it probly like once a week. I would see about setting up a sump with a refuge if I were u.

Do not clean it out while in the tank!! Remove it first. Otherwise it will spray crap all over and your nitrates will spike!

I agree to remove the canister filter. You can clean it and put it back, but you have to clean it constantly to prevent nitrates from creeping up. They are more of a hassle than they are worth. You could get a lot more live rock (up to 2 lbs per gallon) and that should help improve the water quality.

Have you tested the new water for nitrate before you do a water change?

Have you tested the new water for nitrate before you do a water change?

Yes, 0 Nitrates in new water. Other than 1 gallon jugs of R/O water, whats the cheapest way to get water? Attach a filter to my sink?

I think I have determined why my nitrates are so bad.

1. Way overstocked with fish.
2. Not enough flow with just 1 powerhead.
3. Canister filter needs to go.
4. Sand bed has never been vacuumed. (worried about vacuuming all sand until I have none)
5. Sand bed is too shallow. Maybe 1 inch at best.
6. Hang on skimmer is o.k. but need to invest in refugium. (Aqueon ProFlex Model 1)
7. Was impatient and put fish in too quickly before bacteria colony "matured"
:frustrat:

A nice Aquarium RODI filter would be cheaper in the long run, RO drinking water can have minerals added for taste that arent ideal in our tanks.

I wouldnt vacuum the sand, that may just cause more problems. You would be better off getting some nass snails and they will mix it and eat the poo. My tank doesnt have much sand either i dont think 1 inch is too shallow.

Get rid of the tang and at least one other fish, the tang needs a bigger tank and is a poop machine. The tang will stress to death in a tank that small.

You can keep the canister filter and just connect it every now and then to run carbon if you like,

I can tell you what the problem is because I use to have the same protein skimmer.

You need to remove the bio-bale media that sits in the second chamber (outlet) of the protein skimmer. That is just as bad as a canister filter and is trapping gunk. Just let the water flow through the skimmer without any media. That should help out a lot. Everyone else has you covered, as well.

Back