Contest Bifferwine

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could always bow out and build it as you want :mrgreen:

Oh you would like that, wouldn't you!! I'm not backing down! Especially since I've perfected the trick of creating monstrosities of ricordeas that split and grow way faster than normal!

Especially since you're gonna lose anyways. Sounds like a good excuse to bow out. :mrgreen:

Says the guy who didn't even bother to enter!!

I heard that if you post 10k or more in one year or less, they'll give you a free tank.... is that true?

I heard that if you post 10k or more in one year or less, they'll give you a free tank.... is that true?

That has to be 10k posts of SUBSTANCE not pure bull-:pooh: :shock:...which is why I gave up long ago :frustrat:

Here ya go. New pics.

Left:
IMG_3712.jpg

Middle:
IMG_3713.jpg

Right:
IMG_3714.jpg

FTS:
IMG_3683.jpg

Now what camera settings do I need to use so that the colors don't look so washed out and gray all the time?

Last edited:
Really nice tank Sarah. I am liking Rics more and more. I am always looking for deals on some, but around here they are fairly expensive. I have one rock with about 12 yumas on it, all the same color, but I'd love to add more of varying colors into the tank.

They are expensive. You can expect to pay $12 a polyp for the plainest, ugliest ones. The nicer colored ones are $25+ a polyp. I highly recommend ordering "packs" online for ricordeas. You get a mixed back of 10 to 12 for a low price. That's how I got all of mine.

Yes, I'm seeing them for about 30.00 a head. I was actually going to order from Coral Morph. but they decided not to offer the 12 Ric special they had for 99.00. Hopefully it will come back some time soon and I can order that, seemed like a pretty good deal.

They have those 12 ric specials at Coral Morph very often -- that's where I got all my rics, actually. It's an excellent deal and the color selection doesn't disappoint.

Tank looks good sarah dont worry about the color if you figure that out I will have no chance at all.

They have those 12 ric specials at Coral Morph very often -- that's where I got all my rics, actually. It's an excellent deal and the color selection doesn't disappoint.
Yeah, I look about once a week for that special, it really looked like a great deal. As far as your camera, try playing around with your white balance some. That should take out some of the "washed out" away from your shots.

That's what I figured it was. Although the pictures either come out too dark or too light. I just wish they'd come out the way I see my tank with my eyes!! I will have to play around with it some more this weekend.

Wow - tank looks cool Biff! This is the first time I've looked at any of these contest tanks in a long time. Was disappointed that I missed out on it so been kind of avoiding these threads. :sniffles:

But now I have to go look at all of them. :mrgreen:

Wow a lot has happened with my contest tank in the last month. As some of you know, I had a kalk overdose in both of my tanks. I spent all of my efforts trying to save my 90 gallon tank, since it obviously has tons more animals in it. My efforts were somewhat successful, and I think I only lost about 20% of my livestock... Considering how bad things could have been, I'm relieved that's all I lost.

During that time, I was doing 50% water changes of the entire system (140 gallons total) every day or every other day, and my 10 gallon contest tank got severely neglected. I was continuing to do frequent, large water changes on it, but I didn't focus on it as much as the big tank. It was honestly just really hard for me to focus on a 10 gallon tank that had no fish, and about $200 worth of corals over my 90 gallon tank that has 8 fish and over $1000 worth of corals in it. In fact, I have been so depressed over the last month from the kalk overdose that I couldn't even look at my tanks -- I refused to clean the glass because I knew there was nothing more I could do to help my animals; that water changes were the only thing that could possibly help the tank recover.

I was also more intent on focusing on the 90, because when the kalk got into the contest tank, all of the rics turned white or brown and expelled their insides into the water. They continued to lose whatever remaining color they had over the next few days, even though I was doing 80 to 90% water changes every day or every other day. After about a week, I had seen no improvement in the contest tank, but I did see improvements in the big tank, so that further discouraged me from putting more effort into the contest tank.

Well last night I did another 100% water change on the contest tank. This time, I cleaned the glass (as I said, I hadn't cleaned the glass for the last month because my corals were in such sad shape, it made me depressed to look at them). The tank was filled with dinos, slime algae, diatoms and hair algae. And I have never had any algae in this tank before. Most of the rics were gone. The few that were left were shriveled or ripped, detached from the rocks, laying on the sandbed. A couple were still attached to their rocks, but they were being overtaken by the various forms of algae.

I blasted off all the algae I could with a powerhead and sucked up anything that I could with a turkey baster, and I collected all the loose rics and placed them in a tupperware. The rics are still brown and colorless.

The tank looks gray. No color. Algae everywhere. And I'm not sure the rics will recover. I am going to try to salvage the rics that I can, and move them in the big tank, since my water parameters in there are finally stable. Hopefully some of them will come back to life.

So this is officially me throwing in the towel. It's been a good run, and the competition has been stiff from the start! It was a great idea, but the contestants are dropping like flies. I would have ridden this horse 'til the end, had I not had a tank crash. Someone else's tank is deserving of the win, and best of luck to everyone remaining in the competition!

Sorry to hear it Biff, your tank looked awesome with all the rics. I am glad to hear that your 90g is finally recovering though, at least it's something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back