Contest Team SEAHORSE: Catherine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying those Berghia nudibranches on the aiptasia. I kill aiptasia about every 2 weeks and then they return so hopefully these little guys do the trick. I hope. I hope. I hope.

Salty Underground

Woah,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VDhykIiQpg]YouTube - Berghia Nudibranchs Eating Aiptasia by ReefScavengers.Com[/ame]

Something to think about!

C

Well, today I decided I'm going to love this nano. I ordered my plants and some sand from Florida and my tank is starting to look like the ocean that I know. Growing up in Florida, snorkeling, hanging at the beach, this is what I remember. Totally groovy. My water is muddy from moving plants around and I've still got a bunch of stuff in there that will move but here are some shots:

4035526019_c2518f8e02.jpg

4036276418_192bd7efc3.jpg

4035525925_121980f1f1.jpg

4036276348_e6c7138ee8.jpg

4036276240_74152a1b44.jpg

I didn't get to make my light today. Unfortunately, I can't find the bulbs I need. My LFS guy is totally awesome and he's given me a loaner until he can get some ordered in. I'll take pics when I make it.

All in all, I'm excited in the advances made on my tank so far. I scavenged my tanks for some frags and I'll start getting them in next week. WooT!

C

Catherine do you ever have trouble keeping all those different plants alive?
I tried Shaving Brush plants one time and they died within a week. :question:

David, this is the first time I've tried lots of those plants. I have successfully managed calurpa, chaeto, lettuce and what I call seaweed because I don't know what it is. What did you do with your shaving brush? Temp? Water flow? Light? Food? Anything you can suggest!

Thanks, Catherine

OK, all of you rooting for Team Seahorse to kick ass can buy T-shirts! Ha! I was goofing around on cafepress the other day and found this design:

Team Seahorse White T-Shirt - CafePress

I didn't make it and I certainly don't get any money from it but I ordered one and I'll draw a pony on the front. At least my team will win "Best Dressed"

C

David, this is the first time I've tried lots of those plants. I have successfully managed calurpa, chaeto, lettuce and what I call seaweed because I don't know what it is. What did you do with your shaving brush? Temp? Water flow? Light? Food? Anything you can suggest!

Thanks, Catherine

My advice would be to NOT do whatever I did wrong. I just stuck them down in the sand in my tank and watched all four of them die. No special skill was involved. The died fairly easy and quickly. :frustrat: :shock: :mrgreen:

Mine also I had 5. Took about a month and all where gone. I dont think my light was good enough at that time but who knows.

So today I stopped by my LFS and he had a cute little rock that had three riccordeas and a few zoos on it. He gave it to me for 16 dollars special birthday discount (birthday is Monday). I also got a little 2 lb live rock so I could put the riccordea rock up closer to the light. I scavenged a tiny clump of xenia's from my 20 gallon and a nice little rock colored with coraline and a mushroom. Got them in and pulled out all the extra plant stuff that's going into my refugium. Also, planted everything that was floating about. Tried to take pics but it was too cloudy. I noticed that some of my plants aren't looking very good. My shave brush is doing well but my red thing is dropping it's blobby leaves. I'm going to work on building a sump to breed pods and leave the tank alone for a while. Pics tomorrow. I'm going to add a janitor pack featuring all Florida cleaners to keep the Gulf of Mexico theme going. WooT!

Most of my plants are doing great. This is a good thing. My red thing is still dropping its blobby leaves so I'm not holding my breath on that one. All the others have good color and look like they are doing nice. I was a bit worried because I don't have any nitrates in there for them to feed on but so far so good. I went down to my studio to shoot them but the battery is out on my camera so the shots will have to wait. Got some pods going which is nice and my corals are looking nice too. Spent a good part of last night trying to find a list of corals that are indigenous to the Gulf of Mexico but couldn't find one online. Also, I'm still on the fence about the live rock in my 20 gallon tank. I'm so sick of dealing with aiptasia but I really need live rock in that tank. Right now I'm leaning toward not using it. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Love the Florida feeling to my nano tank!

C

Catherine get you some of those nudibranch eating aiptasia and join me. It's been four days and I haven't seen sign of one of them and the aiptasias are growing full strength. Damn. Maybe it takes time for them to get going. There's plenty of food in there for sure!

Catherine get you some of those nudibranch eating aiptasia and join me.

LOL David!

So I was just looking over my tank and noticed that my plants are showing a little growth! Groovy. The flat fuzzy things are growing new hairs, the caulerpa is digging in and the red thing that dropped all it's blobby leaves looks good even though it really did drop most of the blobs. Corals are doing well too. I'm going to order up a bunch of pods.

Hope to get my 10 gallon from upstairs and move it down to be the refugium for my Team Seahorse tank this weekend. It's got a little yellow goby that I think I'll move into the pony corral. It also has a nice live rock that I'll put in there too. That tank has no aiptasia in it. I ordered my bulbs for my nano hood that I made from the IPSF video and I've got my order in for my ponies. WooT.

C

Do you have to keep your water cooler for these guys? I found a LFS that is selling them for 14.00 a piece (is that a good, bad or normal price?)and am thinking about setting up a small tank for them. What kind of equipment are you using/ going to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back