Contest Ted

Thanks I felt weird going online looking for help but I was so glad you where there. If you ever need anything let me know.

Sometimes it's easier to talk to someone online -- you don't have to fear disappointing them or being judged by them like you would a friend or family member that you face in person. I think this allows us to be more honest and open with each other.

Ted, I'm so sorry, I didn't realize you had been hospitalized. Thankfully, you didn't cause permanent damage to yourself during your depressive episode. I'm glad you reached that low because it helped get your medication back on track. I suffer from depression and while it's nothing compared to bipolar it's still an awful illness. I spent a lot of years wishing I could commit suicide but knowing how it would screw up my daughter always kept me from following through. Last summer, I had an unrelated illness that caused me to be hospitalized and while I was there the Doctors switched my medication. The difference on the new meds is like night and day. It's like that suicidal person is a memory of someone I used to know instead of my own past. I really believe that there is something biological in my head that isn't making the right kind of chemistry and I need to take a pill to keep things balanced. Just like a diabetic needs their insulin, people with mental illness need to keep their meds in check. There isn't the stigma with diabetics though. For some reason, it's ok for your pancreas to need help but if your brain needs help then your'e a 'nut case'. Stupid. Anyway, Ted, PLEASE know that you may need adjustments in your medication from time to time and if things get dark again you can always find the light with the help and support of your friends and your doctors. I'll PM you my phone number and call me anytime, 24/7 if you need someone to listen. Keep phone numbers of people geographically close to you that understand your situation and have a person you trust keep a medical plan of action in case you get into a bad place again. Bad places are temporary if you have a good support system. I know what the darkness feels like and you don't have to be there alone.

Oh, and I vote you don't get disqualified either but I'm not in the contest anymore so I don't know if my vote counts!

C

Ya it was a very bad time and I wasnt properly medicated then also I saw things in a failed 20 year marriage that no one should ever have to see. I went over the edge and my children and family never entered my head. I wish I could say that it wasnt the case but it was. I am so much better and I will keep your numbers with me at all times thank you so much for caring you have no idea how good that makes me feel.

I really believe that there is something biological in my head that isn't making the right kind of chemistry and I need to take a pill to keep things balanced. Just like a diabetic needs their insulin, people with mental illness need to keep their meds in check. There isn't the stigma with diabetics though. For some reason, it's ok for your pancreas to need help but if your brain needs help then your'e a 'nut case'. Stupid.
C

I'm also sorry to hear of your suffering, C. Your belief is also backed by science. In normal clinical depression, there's a huge amount of evidence that two neurotransmitters-- messengers between the thinkin cells in your brain-- are totally messed up. Noreprenephrine and dopamine are the putative problem molecules, as the science stands right now. Depression is a physiological, biochemical imbalance-- it's nothing wrong with the person's mind (by mind, I mean personality and stuff like that), it's all in the brain chemistry. That's a fact, not an opinion.

In the case of bipolar disorder, things are much more complicated. I'm actually in the middle of writing an extensive paper on the chemical basis for bipolar disorder. My inspiration for doing so is all the women in my family. Except me (and the odds of it staying that way are abysmally low) every woman in my family suffers from extreme bipolar. Right now, the best guess is that two enzymes in the brain are too active, and these enzymes are at the beginning of a giant cascade of signals... think of it like a domino affect. These enzymes are effected by dopamine and serotonin, similarly to clinical depression although the biological repercussions are vastly different.

Nether one of you are alone-- I know that 2.3 million Americans suffer from bipolar, and about 18.8 million adults are clinically depressed. Clearly it's not just "in your head"... so try to ignore the social stigma. It's encouraging to me that things in the scientific community are really changing-- even 10-15 years ago, these disease were exclusively the purview of psychologists. Now, chemists, biochemists, and medicinal chemists are all tackling the "how' and "why" questions. These disease don't have the stimga in science that the larger society has, and I hope this shift in mindset will eventually impact society as a whole. And, people are working on cures-- not just random treatments, but trying to find comprehensive cures. So don't lose hope.

pictures
April13017.jpg
April13016.jpg
April13015.jpg
April13014.jpg

ok I know I was a bit late but with moving and being in the hospital I hope I get a little leeway. I havent seen anyone else posting any pics in forever so who is still in this contest?

Ok here are some more pics just to show I still have my tank running and everything is fine.
picsmay302.jpg
picsmay301.jpg
picsmay303.jpg

I have been fighting a little cyno but thats mainly because I have been spending so much time on my divorce and not on my tanks.

Well I know I havent been on much, now it will be probably be even less. I have a lot of stuff to figure out in my life. Really dont know how its all going to shake out in the end. Good night and good luck to everyone. Cya on the flip side. :Cheers:

Back