Controller or Tank Upgrade

Jimboaf

We can build it
I am not sure if I should get a tank controller (Apex) or just upgrade my tank to a bigger tank. Would just like some feedback on the subject. Right now I have a 55gal and no sump.

well if it was me, i would go for the bigger tank. i have a 265 gal and i don't have a sump. no place to put one. i have an aquaclear 110, the biggest hob aquamedic skimmer made and a hob refugium. and its working. its your tank. depends on how much work you want to make it. i dont understand why everyone needs to computerize their tank. once you get everything set up you don't have to touch anything any more. the only time i have to play other then clean the filters and skimmer is if the power go out. and thats stuff the computer won't do anyways. its going to be your tank. everyone can tell you what they would do but it still comes down to you. what do you want.

Last edited:
Either way. Apex controller is what, 560.00? Now look into the size of tank you want to move up to, and the price of it, including stand, sump, upgraded equipment such as skimmer, return pump, power heads, and lighting. Then decide which is the better payoff for you. If it was me, I already know the tank upgrade is going to be way more than the Apex, so I would look for the tank I really want and not settle for something that is less than or close to my ideal set-up.

If you look around, you can find good deals on both of these items. People come and go from this hobby all the time.

Controller all the way. If you upgrade you will stock more living organisms. There is nothing better than knowing I'll get an email if one of my parameters is off. Nothing my wife or kids of friends will see. Very easy to relax on vacation with the video up feed to see the tank while away.

Controller all the way. If you upgrade you will stock more living organisms. There is nothing better than knowing I'll get an email if one of my parameters is off. Nothing my wife or kids of friends will see. Very easy to relax on vacation with the video up feed to see the tank while away.
thats great, so now you go nuts cause something is off in your tank and your not there to fix it, thats what fishsitters are for.

thats great, so now you go nuts cause something is off in your tank and your not there to fix it, thats what fishsitters are for.
I call my fish sitter an apex. You talk about all of your heartache of this hobby, you should have had the apex and prevented it. Your fish sitter probably doesn't check sal, top off water, orp, and temp. You will get a call, "hey, you're fish is floating" and they know nothing.by the way, the apex that I set up will shut down the outlet if one of my parameters are off. That is the purpose of it.

The Apex will send an email and text to my phone. I can shut of or turn on any piece of equipment from the app on my phone. " What, tank temp at 82, here let me turn on my chiller while I'm in Europe". The controller catches issues as they arise, not after, thus giving you the opportunity to remedy the problem before it is too late.

Get the bigger tank, been keeping reefs for almost 30 years without all that newfangled gadgetry. ;) You can always get the controller, keep an eye out on Craigslist for one used. You can find tanks and controllers a lot cheaper there.

Back