Controllers / Reef Keeper Lite and HOB Skimmer questions

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
I am getting ready to set up a new tank and have some questions on equipment. As background, the tank is an appx 42g hexagonal tank that will begin as a FOWLR until I can afford a kessil light, and then will become a reef tank.

Controller / Reef Keeper Lite

I primarily want the controller as a way to (1) prevent a disaster if the heater malfunctions (going on the cheaper end for the heater instead of the JBJ with external controller), and (2) to turn on a fan in the summer when the tank gets above a certain temp (last summer my 10g fluxuated way too much and I definitely need an automated way to control a fan when I'm not home this coming summer for the new tank). Will the basic RKL do these things?

If I get a slightly upgraded version of the basic RKL, what is the real benefit of having the pH probe? Is this really something that I'm going to want down the road if I do SPS? I've found the pH on my 90g is virtally always the same when I measure it and I don't think I've had many fluxuations, but of course don't know without a probe. Should I expect my pH to swing so much that I'll need a probe for the new tank? What else will an upgraded RKL do that the basic version won't do (other than give me more outlets)? On the basic version can I still run the wavemaker and lighting timer? Or will these functions only occur with the higher level RKL or RKEs?

And a basic dumb question - the RKL doesn't appear to have a screen like the apex controllers - how do I see the info? Do I have to plug it in to a computer to see info like average temp and to set up all of the controls?

HOB Skimmer

I've decided to go with an HOB skimmer because I don't want to worry about an HOB overflow, sump and the potential floods this could cause in my apartment. The opening for the compartment in the stand is also pretty narrow so I'm concerned about being able to get a decent sized sump in it. I'd like to go with one of the reef octopus skimmers but am not sure which model to get. Anyone have one that they particularly like or don't like? There is one that has a third chamber for filter media and equipment (Reef Octopus BH 100F Hang on Back Protein Skimmer with Filter System - AquaCave.com) that particularly interests me as it would be a place I could put a ball of chaeto or a small bag of carbon if ever needed. Has anyone tried this one or heard anything about this one before?

I'm mostly looking at the reef octopus models because of their reputation, but I've also heard good things about the aqua remora. I've leaned away from that one just because the first craigslist tank I ever saw when I got into the hobby had one and it produced a lot of microbubbles. Is this normal or was that just a bad skimmer or someone who wasn't operating it properly?

Any directions you guys can point me in would be greatly appreciated! I'll post a build thread once I'm a little closer to getting this thing going :)

The RKL does have a screen on the head unit , but the Apex Jr I think its called does not.

The main thing to keep in mind with the RKL is that you are limited to only 4 modules. What that means is this :

Say you go with the Reef Keeper Lite (basic) you get the following

Head Unit
1x PC 4
iTemp probe

That means you are already at 2 modules , add another PC4 and you are at 3 , etc.

One way around that is to add the SL1 which means having to buy a different temp probe to fit the SL1 and add your PH probe , and have switches to possibly run an ATO.

The upgraded versions of the Reef Keeper Lite do not get you around the 4 module limit. The only way to get passed it is to upgrade to the Elite. If you are starting out with a FOWLR then the lite will be fine with what you are aiming to do, but as you grow into a more advanced system you will appreciate the additional functions of the Elite. I have the Elite and I like it alot , but if I were to start all over knowing what I know now I would save up for the full APEX.

It seems that Digital Aquatics is stuck in a comfort zone and isn't really making strides to improve on the system or even complete the products that they advertise. The salinity probe for the SL2 has been in limbo for what seems like 100 years now.

Neptune systems seems to have their shizz together , and are coming out with new technology constantly. I had a long conversation with them at MACNA and I will be switching to the APEX in the near future.

Hope I was able to help

The RKL does have a screen on the head unit , but the Apex Jr I think its called does not.

The main thing to keep in mind with the RKL is that you are limited to only 4 modules. What that means is this :

Say you go with the Reef Keeper Lite (basic) you get the following

Head Unit
1x PC 4
iTemp probe

That means you are already at 2 modules , add another PC4 and you are at 3 , etc.

One way around that is to add the SL1 which means having to buy a different temp probe to fit the SL1 and add your PH probe , and have switches to possibly run an ATO.

The upgraded versions of the Reef Keeper Lite do not get you around the 4 module limit. The only way to get passed it is to upgrade to the Elite. If you are starting out with a FOWLR then the lite will be fine with what you are aiming to do, but as you grow into a more advanced system you will appreciate the additional functions of the Elite. I have the Elite and I like it alot , but if I were to start all over knowing what I know now I would save up for the full APEX.

It seems that Digital Aquatics is stuck in a comfort zone and isn't really making strides to improve on the system or even complete the products that they advertise. The salinity probe for the SL2 has been in limbo for what seems like 100 years now.

Neptune systems seems to have their shizz together , and are coming out with new technology constantly. I had a long conversation with them at MACNA and I will be switching to the APEX in the near future.

Hope I was able to help

Without running a sump and only having a small 40ish gallon hex tank, would I really need the more advanced functions? If I was talking about doing this for my 90g, absolutely I would consider getting the elite or a full apex controller. I'm just not sure what I'm else I'd actually use the controller for on the small tank other than the temp, wavemaker, and a light timer? A salinity probe would absolutely be useful - thanks for the reminder on that! The RKL apparently isn't compatable with the SL2, only the SL1 - is there a salinity probe that would work for that? I'm imagining a temp probe, salinity probe, PC4 (which I can initially plug 2 powerheads, the heater, and the light in to - the skimmer can go into a powerstrip and I can put one of the powerheads on a separate outlet for the summer to plug the fan into the RKL), and an empty slot for expanding to either another PC4 or pH probe. Am I on the right track or completely clueless about how the switches/modules work LOL? Am I completely forgettting something else that would need controlling? Sorry for all of the questions, I've only seen pics of the RKL and other controllers online, but haven't seen them in person as my LFSes don't carry the higher end stuff like controllers!

if you want a salinity probe the Digital Aquatics should be avoided. They released their version of one only to recall it soon after. There was talk of several release dates of the new working probes only for nothing to ever be released. The SL1 will not support a salinity probe of any kind. It works with :

Temp
PH
ORP
and switch ports for things like ATO float switches.

To give you an idea of what can be done, on my Elite i run the following

PC4 #1
Return Pump
Skimmer
Lights
Heater #1

PC4 #2
Dose Pump #1
Dose Pump #2
Dose Pump #3
Heater #2

PC4 #3
Fuge Light
Ato Pump
open
open

SL1
Temp
PH
ATO switch

I also have the ALC (advanced light controller) for my LEDs

All of that can be done with the RKLite with the following setup

Head Unit
PC4
PC4
PC4
SL1

That would be the max # of modules for the Lite. Keep in mind that if you got to that point and needed more, you can trade in your Lite head unit and get an Elite head unit later on which would allow you to expand.

The wavemaker function with the Lite would just be putting your pumps on a timer to turn on/off. Just be sure that your pumps can take the constant change.

Thanks Tex!

So this gives me a decent idea of the RKL.

How about the skimmer, does anyone have advice on that?

Thanks!

I bought the skimmer I linked to above - my LFS had it in stock, same price as online, and they set it up for me in the store so I could see it in operation. Can I just say I'm totally in love with this skimmer?!! Its amazing, right out of the box :D

Back