Controlling Temperature Consistency and Stability

Dom

Reefing newb
Good afternoon, and thank you in advance for answering my post.

I think that many of us underestimate the role that temperature plays in any aquarium. We all have an idea "range" we like to be in, depending on what inhabitants we have in our tank.

My question has 2 parts:

1. When we speak of a temperature "range", what is an acceptable fluctuation? So for example, if I was aiming to keep my tank at 78 degrees, would my targeted range be 77-79 degrees? 76-80 degrees? Generally speaking, what range fluctuation will inhabitants tolerate (I'm thinking Bubble Tip Anemone)?

2. Specific to my aquarium, without having a heater installed in my sump, pumps and lighting in my aquarium can easily run the temp in my tank up to the 80-82 degree range. I have a fan installed in my sump to cool through evaporation and can easily get the temp down to 74. With the heater on, my temp range will fluctuate between 74 - 79 degrees. Is this too much of a range?

Thanks,
Dom

Generally fast fluctuations are a bad thing. You have to realize that the ocean is in a constant state of flux and it's not a constant. My tanks fluctuate 3-4 degrees over the course of a day so I'd say 3-4 degrees isn't a bad thing if it's slow.

Generally fast fluctuations are a bad thing. You have to realize that the ocean is in a constant state of flux and it's not a constant. My tanks fluctuate 3-4 degrees over the course of a day so I'd say 3-4 degrees isn't a bad thing if it's slow.

So my concern should be with the rate of the change, and not the size?

Yes and no . While a 3-4 degree difference throughout the day isn't a bad thing, an 8-10 degree difference could be. Now with the 3-4 degree difference you would be ok with that fluctuation taking place over the course of a few hours , but if for some reason the temp were to suddenly drop or rise the same amount, then you could see a negative reaction.

With all of that said , stability is the key. A tank controller can be your best friend in that department as some heaters can be extremely iffy.

I agree about the controller. Since I have started using a controller my temp stays within a degree. The other benefit of a controller managing your heater is it eliminates the risk of the heater going out in the on position and boiling your tank. This happened to me once I wont run another system just counting on the quality of a $30 heater.

Back