converting 90 USgal fresh to saltwater...

guinnessguy

Reefing newb
***This idea of mine is not concrete yet, so I figured I would post up here for some insight and second opinions.***
A while back I set up an old 29 gal I had laying around for saltwater just out of curiosity, and have been thoroughly enjoying every bit of it since (except an ich disaster that was my fault to begin with). Lately I've been curious to try converting my 90 gal into an eventual reef and keeping the 29 as a quarantine tank. I'm trying to get some suggestions on brand names on quality filters/skimmers, and maybe some ideas on fish/invert combinations that would fit nicely in the tank I have. Also, I have been reading about setting up and using plenums, which sound like a pretty good idea. So if anyone has any tips or useful info on plenum filter beds I would appreciate their input too!

I not a supporter of plenums or Jerbert system of a plenum under a deep sand bed. remember that jerbert had a open system and we are using a closed system. its only a matter of time before the sand bed releases harmful stuff back into the tank. i support a correct size of aragonite reef grade sand at about 3 to 4" deep max and the correct substrait stirrers, worms, stars etc to keep things mixed up to the bottom. i also use sea cucumbers of the holothurm family to turn over the substrait after well seasoned. anyway not suggesting you do it this way but just thought i would throw in my 2 cents worth. on the equipemnt its a matter of who you talk to. as long as you get good support and replacement if defective equipemnt from the place you purchase it, then most any equipemnt that will do the job will be acceptable. hope something here helps. good luck. others will probably have an opinion or two on brand name equipemnt and such.

Back