converting to fuge

lilduud

Reefing newb
so i have a spare aquaclear 70 and ive decided to convert it to a fuge for my ten gallon.. i plan on replacing my current hob aquaclear filter with it completely. ive modded the ac 70 fuge to have a filterpad to polish off the water... my question is, would it be beneficial to keep the original porous filter media on the top in the fuge to keep the bacteria population steady? also because i will be removing a large rock sometime soon and dont ant to cause a mini cycle. also any ideas for running my carbon and phosban more efficiently? i dont want to buy a reactor for a ten gallon but something more efficient than sitting at the bottom of a low flow minifuge hah

Invest in a reactor there cheap and you"ll get the max out of your phosphate media. Putting that stuff in a media bag in a low flow area probably wont do much. If you end up getting one, set your flow rate through it low. You want the media to slightly tumble. I started out with just a bag of media in my Refug. and my phosphates barley went down after a week, after I got the reactor they went zero in 24 hours

Last edited:
i know that a reactor would be the most effecient but does that seem a little overkill for a ten gallon tank? maybe ill get a single canister and do the half carbon have gfo idea in it that ive heard of but its just a bit much IMO, also a tad more than id like to spend

haha i know it would be better for the corals im just trying to find the next best thing rather than setting up a phosreactor

mostly lps and sps.

Back