Coolhandgoose's 55gal build

coolhandgoose

Reef enthusiast
So I finally got a bigger tank and I'm super pumped about setting it up, even though I know it's going to take a long time before I get all the parts ordered. The guy I got it from even threw in some of his old piping to go with it so there isn't a lot of plumbing to do.

I'll post pics of the tank a little later, promise.

So first question:
I'm just about to order a RO/DI system from purewaterclub. The needle valve that comes with the unit to pierce the existing pipe, is the puncture hole permanent? What happens when you want to move it? Is there a different attachment I should order if I don't want to puncture the existing pipe? What have you guys done?

I'm ordering some supplies from aquatraders as well. I know, I know but hey, they're cheap. So I'm going with the 75gal skimmer, the 700 water pump and the 4x 39W totalling 155W T5 lights.

So here's my plan of attack.
1. leak check the tank outside.
2. build a stand.
3. set up ro/di
4. set up tank on stand and start working on plumbing.
5. install sump
6. get the system running with freshwater checking for leaks etc.
7. add the skimmer
8. add sand ( I'm think aragonite)
9. transfer all contents from the 10 gal tank to the new tank, which includes about 8 lbs of LR
10. get more LR!!

I'm hoping the tank will be fine for a bit without much LR since I only have the one clown fish, as I add more and more over time hopefully will get more fish to occupy the huge space.

I've got their MH /T5 pendant and it is running like a champ 4 months in....

Plan on ordering a good number of stuff in the future from them.

How big is your new tank?

So I figured out the water attachments. I ordered the 1/2" plastic tee with the 1/4" ball valve attachment for use under the kitchen sink. I also ordered their TDS meter.

Pics as promised

IMG_1112a.jpg
IMG_1114a.jpg
IMG_1115a.jpg

The puncture hole is permanent -- there are actually two holes. One where the water enters the RODI unit, which is made in the cold water line, and a second for the waste water the RODI produces, which is made in the drain of the sink.

When I moved, I simply bought a new cold water line (it was only a few bucks) and replaced that one altogether. Then I sealed the waste water hole up with silicone (which is fine, that pipe is never filled with water, so there's little to no pressure on the silicone.

Good luck with it all man I am about to do the exact same thing. Just waiting for parts to get here in the mail now. I have plans for a 10g sump drawn up but I want to wait a bit before I make it to ensure the skimmer will fit in there. It should they told me it was a 4x10 footprint and I have a 7-10 space in the sump for it but I am still going to wait.

I haven't figured out how to design the sump yet, but I'm just emailing a guy in Calgary right now that has a 30 gal tank, 29x12x18 for sale for 25bucks. He says it has some scratches which will be perfect for a sump.

Just picked up the 30 gal for 25 bucks. Pretty happy about that price. It was used for freshwater until a few days ago. It was his sons tank, so I asked if he ever used copper in it. He says he's pretty sure he never did. I'm going to give it a thorough vinegar bath before I use it though.

Just picked up the 30 gal for 25 bucks. Pretty happy about that price. It was used for freshwater until a few days ago. It was his sons tank, so I asked if he ever used copper in it. He says he's pretty sure he never did. I'm going to give it a thorough vinegar bath before I use it though.

What do you mean copper? Why would anyone use copper in a fw tank, and why would you not use it in a sw tank? :12:

Is the Oxidized Copper bad for SW fish? lol >.< You totally lost me.

Copper kills parasites, like ich. However it is deadly in a saltwater set up since it will kill invertabrates and bacteria that is beneficial to live rocks. I'm not that worried really, since any copper absorbed in the silicone would be extremely minute that it wouldn't pose a serious problem.

Copper kills parasites, like ich. However it is deadly in a saltwater set up since it will kill invertabrates and bacteria that is beneficial to live rocks. I'm not that worried really, since any copper absorbed in the silicone would be extremely minute that it wouldn't pose a serious problem.

I never knew that! Maybe I should try it in my FW tank, since my one poor Platy isn't looking too good... Thanks for the great information! I still learn about freshwater on a saltwater aquarium forum! :mrgreen:

Yeah copper would be fatal to a reef tank -- and you can't ever use rock or sand that has been exposed to copper in the past, it's ruined forever (unless you want to go through the effort of soaking the rocks in acid to remove all the surfaces, but that's more trouble than it's worth).

So after reading all the bad reviews lately, I've decided to change from the PWC RO/DI unit to the Filter Direct one. It's just slightly more but I think the quality will be way better.

And by the way, count yourself lucky if you live in the states, $47 for shipping to Canada. YIKES!

One more question for the Canadians out there. Has anyone ordered anything from the states and had to pay customs brokerage fees? The guy at filter direct said that they have good luck shipping through USPS vs. UPS for not having to pay brokerage fees.

Back