Coolhandgoose's 55gal build

One more question for the Canadians out there. Has anyone ordered anything from the states and had to pay customs brokerage fees? The guy at filter direct said that they have good luck shipping through USPS vs. UPS for not having to pay brokerage fees.

I order a lot of thing from the US, though ups and usps and although usps has cheaper brokerage fees you will have to pay some for sure. Also here is a link to a store in Lloydminster, AB. I just ordered a skimmer from there they were very friendly. The Reef Shoppe, Welcome to The Reef Shoppe. Also here is a pic of my design for my 10g sump to help you get started on yours.

Attachments

• SF-2.jpg
    SF-2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 243
Thanks for the pic, I was thinking something quite similar for a sump design.

So approximately how much is brokerage fees?

I wouldn’t be able to tell you, it depends on a lot of factors such as weight, shape, and dimensions of the package, as well as the value of the package and type of item. For example, I had a package come last week that was 50”x4”x4” which weight about 10lbs valued at $200 and I paid $80 shipping usps and another 33 customs. If you can find whatever you are looking for in Canada it would be better in the long run because you will get hit with customs. Sometime you will even get the bill 2 weeks after you get your package. Unless it is just a letter size envelope!

Well that's just great :frustrat: so I can count on at least another 100 bucks for the stuff I ordered!
One more thing, I ordered my filter direct RO/DI unit and specifically said to send it via USPS not UPS since they said sometimes you don't get the customs fees. Well wouldn't you know, last night I get an email from UPS giving me a tracking number. I've sent a WTF letter and haven't heard back yet, hopefully get some money back since I know the shipping through UPS was a little cheaper :grumble:

Maybe too many acronyms gets confusing. Hopefully I hear back from the WTF letter ASAP regarding UPS vs. USPS :D

Okay I'm super happy now!!

I called filter direct and they admitted that they screwed up, so they said send a copy of the bill for any brokerage fees and they'll refund the fees plus the difference in shipping.

Wasn't expecting that, but gotta give it to them for customer service.

Question!!

So aquatraders just informed me that the 36" 156W T5 light fixture is now out of stock. They were wondering if I wanted the 36" 192W power compact lighting fixture instead. It's 10 bucks cheaper.

What are your thoughts??

I know I'll want to upgrade eventually, but is the PC lighting with more watts better than the T5 lighting with less wattage? I'm confused.

I don't think so, but I am by far no lighting expert - all the terms has always confused me a bit! I still want to lean for t-5's for their spectrum, however.

The spectrum would be the same, 12000k daylight and actinic.

The thing that worries me about the PC lights is the amount of heat it would produce compare to the T5

I told them to hold off shipping the lights for now, and we'll wait for the next shipment to arrive. I think I'll stick with the T5's.

Might look into the MHs(From Aquatraders)....I have them and love them. Heat hasn't been an issue at all. My tank is steady at 78.3 24/7. Plus you won't ever have to upgrade to a bigger and badder light.

Heating question now.
I seem to have a ton of choice for heaters which do you recommend?
1. Jager Heater 250W - $37
2.Aquarium systems visi therm 300 W - $37
3. Stealth pro 200W - $37
4. Aqueon heater 300W - $34
5. Stealth 250 W - $30 from local person in calgary
6. Fluval E digital display 200W - $40 from local

I'm leaning towards #1

And also a question on dry base rock.

Would you expect a cycle from this rock if you just put it in the tank?
Should you preseed the rock by mixing it in a rubbermaid container with a piece of LR for a week or two? Would you get a cycle then?

Dry rock shouldn't cause a cycle. I think you'd get much better results putting in the dry rock and live rock in the tank at the same time. I'd go at least 20% LR or the diversity in your tank could really suffer. Also get a few scoops of sand from an established tank at the lfs.

Not sure on heaters, I never trust 'em, that's why I have 2 attached to a controller so it's relatively failsafe.

I was planning on getting about 25 lbs dry rock, 10 lbs live, plus the additional 8 lbs from my existing tnk, totalling 43lbs. Good start I guess, definately not going to start by adding 10 fish!

Does anyone else use the jager heater?

I have been thinking about getting a mix of live rock and dry rock as well, live rock is expensive here in St. John’s, I am going to be interested to see how long it takes to seed and how yours works out.

Back