Coolhandgoose's 55gal build

Goose, I think that would be plenty of rock to start with. I started with a little less than a 1:1 (rock to gallons) ratio and just added a piece of dry rock here and there over a year, and had no problems.

It's hard to tell how fast it seeds the other rocks with bacteria, but as long as you stock slowly, I definitely wouldn't worry about anything.

I think the key is to have enough at the onset to at least bring it up to a certain threshold, allowing it to seed.

Well not much is happening so far but a quick update :

I'm getting my filter direct 6 stage RO/DI filter delivered today, I'll post some pics.
My return pump and skimmer should be here this week.
I bought a phosban reactor from a guy that should be here friday. I plan on using NP Biopellets in it.
My lights, who knows when those are coming since they are currently out of stock and aren't getting a shipment in until the end of the month.
I've got all the wood to make my stand so I might get started on that today, I don't know though cuz it's freaking cold here right now. It'll be built using 2x4's and skinned in Oak.

As far as rock is concerned my LFS sells dry rock : 1 lb. $4.50, 20 lbs + $4.00,
50 lbs + $3.50. So I'll plan on maybe 30lbs of dry from them plus 10 more live and just throw it in the tank when it's set up. I've only got the one clownfish so I'll just keep him only in there for about a month to let things settle down and for the rock to seed.

When it rains it pours. I got the return water pump and protein skimmer delivered, then two hours later I got the RO/DI unit delivered. I must say the unit is pretty impressive, doesn't feel cheap and has great directions. Pics to come.

I have 2x 250 w jager heaters on my 125g. #2 is a back up in case 1st one kicks it. i have no problems with mine, but i plan to upgrade to a heater/chiller combo when i can. dont have to worry about the heater exploding and cause problems in your tank.

Thanks for the info! :Cheers:

Some Pics :

Package with skimmer and pump
IMG_1117a.jpg

The skimmer
IMG_1118a.jpg

Filter Direct
IMG_1119a.jpg

Phosban reactor
IMG_1120a.jpg

Thanks,

Only two problems now. One is i asked for a 1/2" adapter from filter direct but they sent a 3/4" one so my under the kitchen faucet might not work, might have to move it to the basement which will be a huge pain hauling water upstairs.

Second, the pump only came with 3 suction cups, I guess not that big of a deal, but also the electrical seems like it got pinched a little bit and might be slightly exposed. So I think I'll silicone it up and hopefully keep it water tight.

Okay big update time.

I have finished building the stand, well almost. I didn't buy near enough trim to finish the doors let alone the stand so I have to buy way more trim and stain again. I don't have pics of it, sorry.

I built the sump today.
IMG_1199.jpg IMG_1200.jpg IMG_1201.jpg
I did a terrible job at cutting acrylic, it's really chippy so I may have to smooth it out with some silicone or something.

I bought about 50 lbs of tufa dry rock (for 20 bucks btw :) ) so I'm using some acrylic and two part epoxy to make some rock platforms. I really want an engineer goby so I want to avoid a rock slide.
IMG_1202.jpgIMG_1203.jpgIMG_1204.jpgIMG_1205.jpgIMG_1206.jpgIMG_1207.jpg

Okay this is a very noobish question. When I add fully cured LR to the brand new tank, new sand and dry rock, am I going to expect a cycle? I want to be able to get this thing fully up and going in a single day and move my fish over the same day.

Maybe but probably not. The cycle will occur if there is die off on the rock, so if it's healthy and cured, probably nothing will happen. Nice sump by the way! Looks like you did a great job on it.

Thanks for the info, my clown seems pretty indestrucible so he'll probably be able to survive a mini cycle. If you saw the sump up close you'll see all the chippyness, I used a circular saw to cut it with the blade backwards, but hey, nobody looks at the sump anyway besides us reefers.

Yay we have a tank set up!!!

Here's a crappy iphone picture for all you pic whores out there.
photosmall.jpg
I'll try to get better later.
The stand is looking awesome, but I still have to put the trim on.

The lights I got are awesome, I got a 6 bulb t5HO set up.

It's been up and running for about a week now and no cycle to speak of, but man have I got diatoms now!!

I'm home for a couple more days before I have to leave again (training on the Airbus A320!!) so hopefully I'll get a couple more pics for you guys, and maybe a new fish.

Also, my bubble trap doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of getting rid of all the micro bubbles from my skimmer, any suggestions? It is bubbles galore in the tank.

Back