Copper Contamination

BigFishy

Reefing newb
Hi,

I was using an old filter of mine without knowing that there were four copper rings (inside the filter) that were exposed to the tank. The copper rings were eroding which means that they were bleeding into my tank for quite some time now. I’ve spent so many hours trying to figure out why my snails kept dying and I’m glad to finally figure it out.
How would you cure the water/tank? I read long exposure of copper can actually go into the tank wall. I have a glass tank. Is this true?

I currently do not run carbon and I thought maybe I should for a while, but I have read somewhere that carbon won’t do anything for carbon.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Carbon will not remove copper, but there is another filter media that will (the name escapes me right now).

Do you have live rock or sand in your tank? If so, you will have to replace it. I wouldn't worry about the tank itself. It's not likely to have been absorbed by the glass or silicone. As for the water, I'd suggest replacing 100% of it. It's very difficult to remove copper once it has been introduced into a system. I'm sorry this happened to your tank. :(

I am in the middle of moving my 20 gallon tank into a 70 gallon tank. Tonight I was going to do the migration, but now I assume I shouldn't use anything from that old tank. Not even the sand or live rock, correct?

I was also planning on using the 20 gallon as a sump tank. Besides giving the tank a good rinse, should I bleach the tank or something?

Unfortunately, you can't re-use the sand or rock once it has been exposed to copper. There is a method to salvage the rock, but it consists of soaking and stripping the rock in an acid bath. It's easier (and safer) just to buy new rock.

I'm thinking of cleaning the rock in an acid bath and using it later. I've read how to do it, but not 100% certain of what type of chemical you use to soak it?

Back