copper for ich

dont dose your display tank, copper is very poisonous to inverts and corals. It will also destroy your biological filter. Also, once copper is introduced into a tank, it is very dificult to remove it, maybe even imposible.

As with any medications, follow the directions on the bottle exactly.

I havent dosed any copper meds since I was running freshwater tanks. So I cant give you more specifics.

Hyposalinity seems to be a better method than copper. It's easier on the fish, easier to measure and keep track of, and just as effective.

i just started with the copper and im worried that im not going to be able to get all the copper out of the tank...should i start to remove the copper right now that theres a little bit in the tank...and try Hyposalinity...and this is to lower the salt level right...

Did you put copper in your display tank? Do you have corals and inverts in there? If so, get them outta there. You shouldn't put copper in your dispaly tank, very, near impossible to remove..

Last edited:
dont dose your display tank, copper is very poisonous to inverts and corals. It will also destroy your biological filter. Also, once copper is introduced into a tank, it is very dificult to remove it, maybe even imposible.

As with any medications, follow the directions on the bottle exactly.

I havent dosed any copper meds since I was running freshwater tanks. So I cant give you more specifics.

+1 Bjohanson

I'll let others answer this correctly, but what I've heard once you have copper in the tank it's difficult to get out, I've read on forums that it gets into the seams of the tank and you can't get it out, then people fill their tanks with stuff and it keeps dying...I could be totally off on this, but these are the things I've read.

let one of the Veterans answer this one correctly.

Did you leave the rock and sand in the tank? If so, they are shot. You will need to buy new rock and sand. Never ever ever dose copper in the display tank with rock and sand. It literally kills everything but the fish... And stays in everything and leaches out in the future. You must use a dedicated quarantine tank to medicate with copper.

i have all on a nothere tank..rock,sand corals..but fish...i did it because the fish wouldnt fit on the other tank....its small..im try my best to get the copper out...what can i do to get the copper out of the tank.i use copper because my fish realy look like there about to die...they look like a falling airplane.....but the copper safe them...i think?

Oh okay. If you're doing it in its own tank with just fish, you can either follow the copper directions on the package, or you can just stop, do a water change, and do hyposalinity instead. Both are effective methods to get rid of ich.

i did a water change and i put the carbon filters...and the ich is back....no!!!!
i lower the salt levels slowly to 1.018..tomorrow im go buy a bottle of garlic...for the food.what else ca i do to help them?...they are eating realy good but my yellow tang was eating realy good too and he die...rip...:death::goodnight..i miss you...
if i lose all my fish..im leave the take with out fish for 3 months...i think the ich will die...with out a host..stupid ich :chair:...

It's back because you didn't do any sort of treatment long enough to kill it. Unless you kill it, it will keep coming back.

You will need to lower the salinity much lower than 1.018 to do a hyposalinity treatment. I recommend that you read up on it before you start so you make sure you're doing it correctly.

do you think if i get i UV sterilizer..will help...how low should i lower it..some people say 1.08...othere say 1.010...i was told at my pet store to lower to 1.016..and get a UV sterilizer...

Back