Copper-free Treatments

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
The copper-free treatments, like NO-ICH and Ich-Attack, don't say much about how they work.

1) Has anyone used these with serious, more-than-coincidental results?
2) What do they have in them?
3) Do big water changes help defeat ich? (I assume this would reduce the number of parasites).

1) They do not have high success rates. The only two treatments proven to kill ich are copper and hyposalinity.
2) No idea what they have in them. I find it suspicious that the boxes and labels never say.
3) No, water changes do not defeat ich. Ich lives in and on the fish. As long as you have fish, you can have ich. Ich needs a host to survive and reproduce, and the fish are its host.

Biff got it. I would also add that there are only 2 scientifically proven methods that kill ich. Copper and hyposalinity.

i just like to follow one rule with medicines when treating fish, i assume it all has copper and its better to play it safe and move the fish before treating it with anything then put it in your DT and risk killing everything

I looked more into this and Ich-attack contains several herbal ingredients all of which have: Naphthoquinone

"The therapeutic action of Ich-Attack on protozoan and other infections is due to its binding with cytoplasmic structures within the cell of the infecting organisms."

I think you all may be judging the copper-free treatments too fast. Has anyone who criticized tried them?

many people have tried them and some times it has worked and some times it has not. i think they are waste of money myself

Heres how I look it.
If it will kill the ick parasites,it'll kill the micro critters that live within the rock and sand.

Back