Copper Penny paly problem

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
These came as a hitchhiker on some zoas I got some time ago. Zoas don't seem to do well in my tank. The few I do have are getting over run by the Copper Penny paly. As a matter of fact, the tank is getting over run by this stuff! It has popped up on almost all of my rock and even in the sand! I wouldn't ming keeping some of it, but how do I control it?

Manual removal might be the most practical approach.

Harvest them and make regular deliveries to your LFS for store credit :)

That one can be a beast of overgrowth....Be very careful too, as I was once told that is a very Palytoxin rich variety....

The toxin thing worries me. So much so that I'm thinking of removing the rocks and replacing them. I don't like the looks of this stuff either. It just wipes out my zoas too. Just takes over.

Don't let it scare you. Just buy a cheap pair of safety glasses and make sure you wash your hands before and after. And maybe keep your mouth shut just in case...

You'll be fine with safety glasses.

So what I have determined, should anyone ever want to grow this stuff:

1. The prefer water that isn't pristine. Not bad, but not acutely, anticeptically , clean.

2. Flow does not matter.

3. Lower SG levels. They do grow in the 1.025-27 range, but they explode below that.

4. The will grow even in lower light levels and in shade.

I'm actually going to have to replace rocks to get this crap out of my tank. Heck, it's even growing on tiny shells and directly in the sand!

That one can be a beast of overgrowth....Be very careful too, as I was once told that is a very Palytoxin rich variety....

If Mitch is right and this is one of the more toxic variants, then it would probably be best to keep this out of circulation.
It is ironic that zoanthids and palythoas are considered among the best "starter" corals, yet some can pose to be the most lethal.

Back